Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Jumped out this Morning... >

Jumped out this Morning...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jumped out this Morning...

Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Jumped out this Morning...

Terry had some volunteer stuff to do - so what the heck thought it would be a good morning to jump out.

We are suppose to get hammered a bit today and the rest of the week and it was really nice this morning...just above freezing with a light rain fall last nigh - a bit of snow at the higher elevations. Then for the rest of the week it is just suppose to add up.

Decided to run out to one af my favorite white areas, a piece of State property (160 ac.) surrounded by small private... I am only buck hunting at this point, so I figured I was still a bit early for the rut - which I was - did not find any scrapes at all and in fact very little movement of any type this morning.

Not a 'Utah Rob' quality pic but this give you an idea of the lay of the land... You can see the ridge in the foreground has a bunch of red stem on it and is usually a good place to sit and watch.

Through this picture in also... i had taken my gear off to get the landscape picture so I grabbed a picture of the rifle and pack. The thing I wanted to talk a little bit about is the scope. This is one of those less expensive Cabelas 3x10x40 Powder Horns. I have been using this all year as the gun was an October purchase and I put on it what i had available. But, I have been hunting with this oufit since Oct. 10, the scope has seen a lot of country and a lot of weather... from freezing cold, snow storm, rain storms, and even this mornings mix of rain and snow (and a couple of slips and falls). It has survived it all - I am midly impressed...+ the optics are really darn decent....

On the way in this morning after the hunt I decided that I would shoot this load. This particular load has been in the gun since the evening of October 9. 120 grains of T7-2f, a .458/275 grain Lehigh in an MMP Orange sabot. I was very confident that the load would go boom correctly, but after the weather the gun has seen and in and out of the pick-up and the house - really thought it would be a good experiment.

Stop by 'soup can draw' - stopped on top of the hill overlooking the draw. Got laid the gun over the hood found an old coffee can in the junk below and touched it off. I hit perfectly - because it jumped up in the air - did a couple of sommer-saults and rolled down the bank. Thought it was about a 100 yard shot but decided to laser it 121 yards. Dang if it had just been a nice whitetail - I could show you that also.

When I got home I ran a couple of moist windex patches through the bore. Ran a dry patch and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Took it out in the garage popped a couple of primers - ran 2 dry patches and then ran a single just barely oiled patch of Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner, then a dry patch. Tonight I will reload the gun for Monday morning action.

Suppose to be a lousy morning (weather wise) but gotta make hay when you have the opportunity...
Old 11-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a good scope. I have been looking at them ever since you bought one. I have one more rifle to fit with a scope. I almost bought another Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32mm but for some reason did not. Still looking, and still looking at the Cabela's scope.

As for that Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner, I like that stuff. There are a couple of rifles I have that are treated with it. One of them is my Knight LK-93. I bought it used and the previous owner, well lets just say its blemished. But it shoots well and I treat it with MXBC. The other day I shot it, using that filthy black powder, I ran three Windex patches to start the cleaning process. Looked through the rifle and it looked clean. I ran a dry patch and it came out with fouling from the breech area. I was surprised how well the rifle cleaned up.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Speaking of scopes: look what Cabelas has in their bargain cave

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...252&hasJS=true
Old 11-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

That looks like a long scope dphobby. I could not find the specs on that scope. And I am not sure that is the same on Sabotloader is talking about.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting coffee cans in soup can draw?

Is that legal?

I have no doubt you got a pass through Sabotloader, but pictures of the entrance and exit wounds would have been nice.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tried to order two of the Powderhorn scopes Friday and they were out, and didn't know when they would have any in stock. I looked at the above scopes on sale and thought, hey you can't go wrong here. I called and they said they were the mainstay muzzleloader scope and they were discontinuing them for the newer Powderhorn. With a lifetime warranty and Cabela's outstanding service record I'll try anything once. When they come in I'll compare them with a 4200 Elite and see how good the late afternoon looks, if they are real better I'll dig out my Diavari..
Old 11-08-2009, 04:23 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

I'm wondering if that red stem as you call it is red dogwood? the deer here in ny love the stuff.good luck with your huntin'.....karl
Old 11-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

kb1

The plant I am talking about is a shrub... redstem ceanothus I am not much of a plant person but I think we are talking different plants...

http://green.kingcounty.gov/GoNative...iew&PlantID=61

Ceanothus sanguineus (Red Stem Ceanothus) - Important big game browse. Fragrant flowers with red stems. Drought and heat resistant. Needs well drained soil.

They might as well call it, as I do. elk candy...
Old 11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

We call it 'soup can draw' because it use to be the local famers dump... all kinds of junk there for years gone by...

Legal?

OK - you got me - I shot the coffee can because it was bigger than a soup can?

And I did try to dig the Lehigh out of the bank - but could not find it... ifn i had eyed showed a picture of that...
Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default scopes

sabotloader, ckeck out the VORTEC scope, made in Middleton Wi. I just put one on mt Savage 110 Tactical this morning. After a trip to the range, I'll be buying more in the future. WWW.Vortec.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.