Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need suggestions

Old 11-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need suggestions

Husband and I have decided to upgrade our Muzzleloaders to the new generation muzzleloader. We have decided to purchase the T/C Triumph Bone Collector. My Questions for you guys and gals who use this particular muzzleloader is this: what bullet powder combination do you use for this model. #2 Are we both going to be able to use the same bullet powder combo for these guns as our current guns we use have never grouped or shot well with the same combination this was a real pain for us.

Last edited by TNGal; 11-08-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I should have my triumph tomorrow though i did not get the bone collecter. Good choice though. From what i have read they seem to shoot the shockwaves good as there made for the omegas and thust the triumph. The only thing i would see that will matter is will you be able to handle the charge your husband wants to use. If so no proplem. Though most will tell you no one load works the same in all guns. I see no reason why you will not be able to find a good load for both. My plan is to shoot the 250 shockwave with 125 grains of 777. I will let you know tomorrow afternoon how mine shoots it.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Tim we were just trying to find out what other people were using. The new style muzzleloaders we are hoping to get away from the pyrodex powder. We have the same muzzleloaders right now and they will not group with the same bullet or even the same grain powder. It has gotten pretty frustrating over the last few years.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

TCGal
I have shot a lot and one of my main guns is a Triumph the other is the Endeavor and I think you will love the Bone Collector.
The loads well it seems like the Triumph will shoot a LOT of loads so well that it takes a really good bench shooter to pin down which is best so I will just list some that will shoot very well in most Triumphs.
The top of the list is the 250 gr Shock Wave bullet with the Short Black Harvester sabot and 110 or 120 gr of Blackhorn 209 just clean the oil out shoot a dozen shots into the bank to start your break in and if your scope mounting and scope are in good order and well mounted you should start getting good groups [like around and 1.5 or less after break in.
other bullets sabot combinations that shoot well
the 200 gr 50/40 Shock Wave with 110 to 135gr Bh209 this is very flat shooting low recoil load.
the 200 gr Lehigh is my nail drive 50/40 sabot with 140gr BH209 I took my 170 # buck with this one this year
The 250 gr Lehigh with the Short Black Harvester and 110 gr BH209
The Gold Dot 250 with the Long Black Harvester and 110 gr BH209
If you decide to use pyrodex work from 110 gr up its a good powder and you can fined the right loads. If you decide to use 777 all bets are off some of these loads may or may not work with 777 my Triumph did not like 777 very well.
With Blackhorn do not clean the gun till you get home it shoot best and most consistent with tight sabot bullets and after the first shot, you can do a certain procedure to get the first shot in the group at long range. If you use Blackhorn and either Montana X bore conditioner or Birchwood Casey oil after you clean and Hoppes #9 or #9 and a 50/50 mix of alcohol for cleaning and you want the procedure for getting the first shot in the group e-mail me or post with the question and my name and I will write it up for you. Lee
Old 11-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have a standard Triumph and just got home from doing some load work. I got best results so far with 110 grains of 777 3F powder, 200 grain Shockwaves using Harvester Crush Rib 50/40 sabots. Gun is incredibly accurate with this load, able to produce multi shot single ragged hole groups off sand bags.

I used the same load last year except using the standard supplied sabots with the Shockwaves. Took 2 nice does with this last season, just switched out sabots do to hard loading second shots. Heck even the first round was tough to get seated down the barrel.

Good luck with your new MZs and have a safe season.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey i got my triumph today and shot it. The 125gr fffg of 777 and the shockwave 250 with the black sabot seem to work ok. I have not got it zeroed on but i was on target every shot and it was getting real close when i left for the night.