Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

where to aim

Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Heres a quote from a neat article about shot placement:
(Based on the data collected in this study we feel that the best shot placement for deer is the broadside shot directed at the shoulder. Traveling an average of only 3 yards, deer shot in the shoulder traveled significantly less distance than deer shot in the heart, lungs, or abdomen. Also, with such a short distance of travel, deer shot squarely in the shoulder did not generally leave the hunter's sight. In this study, the broadside shoulder shot essentially gave results similar to what most hunters expect from a neck shot. Presumably the broadside shoulder shot works well because it strikes part of the heart and or lungs which itself is a mortal blow. However, a shot through the scapula damages the brachial plexus which is part of the central nervous system thereby rendering the animal immobile. It knocks the animal out and it never regains consciousness. Also, the shoulder is a very large target offering room for error; a high shot hits the spine, a low shot the heart and a shot to the rear hits the lungs. )

Heres the link to the article, it was a interesting piece to read-

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/articlegad.html
Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Bowhunter here too - seach for "void" at AcheryTalk or the Bowsite.
Plenty of pic's and evidence from vets and other medical pro's
proving there is no hollow spot. Like I said, high lung can survive.
Most "void" hits are actually above the spine thru the backstraps.
Not argueing here either - just pointing out the fact that the lungs fill the entire cavity in a living animal with the spine being at the top of the cavity making it
physically impossible for a void to exist.
O.K. call it what you will, but the spot is non leathal, most bowhunters around here call it the hollow spot. Either way it's not a spot you want to hit. Good Luck Archery Hunting! Never ment to argue.
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hit where the black spot is, this is the most effective spot as well as giving the most margin of error with out any problem.
Attached Thumbnails where to aim-deer-shot-placement.jpg  
Old 11-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe a picture would help...
Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

I always try and shoot the top off the heart. If you miss slightly in any direction, it is still a lethal killing shot. Little high = lungs, forward = shoulder, low = heart, back = liver and lungs. Many swear by the breakdown shot on the shoulder, but bowhunting makes me look for the top of the heart shot.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lemoyne & sabotloader
Thanks for posting those pictures.
Just a few minutes of study with these and it becomes clear as to where you want your bullet or arrow to go.
As I forgot to mention but it was stated in a later post that it really depends on the position of the animal.
I try to imagine the exit wound more than the entrance and it kind of takes care of itself.
I guess this is from years of bowhunting.

Thanks again for those pictures,they help.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it comes down to are you a gun guy or a bow guy. As bow hunters where taught to shoot the heart as most arrows do not like hard thick bones. I guess theres no right or wrong answer here. Thanks for the pic.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

With a gun, if you aim to break the off-side shoulder you will do fine.

Too many guys shoot deer with a gun the same way as if they are shooting a bow. Lots of deer are lost becuase of it.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Too many guys shoot deer with a gun the same way as if they are shooting a bow. Lots of deer are lost becuase of it.
Can't say I agree with that UncleNorby. Any decent bullet, including plain old lead balls, placed in the typical heart/lung bow shot area is going to drop any deer - typically within 50 yards, but certainly no more than 100. Deer just can't live long without out both of those organs.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 Lee

You can see it better on the second picture of sabotloader's. Draw a veritcal line up from the elbow, then draw a horizontal line back from the shoulder joint. Where the intersect (the top of the heart) is my sweet spot and is the black spot on Lee's picture. With this you miss the major bones of the shoulder, but take out the heat/lungs anywhere within a 5 inch circle.