Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
breaking in a tc triumph. >

breaking in a tc triumph.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

breaking in a tc triumph.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default breaking in a tc triumph.

Ok hopefully by wensday or thursday i will have my triumph sitting on my door step. Is there anything special i need to do to break the gun in. How should i do it. Fire one or two rounds then clean the barrel fire 3 or 5 and clean it. ALso i will be shooting at a dirt mound. How deep will the 250 shockwave go into it. Is there a chance i can recover them. I would like to see the expansion of the round and so on.
I think thats all the questions. FOr now.
Just a few more days then i will be a muzzy hunter.
And when everyone says well gun season over i am done hunting. I will be sitting there knowing i am good to go till dec 20th
Old 11-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

All i did to mine was give it a good cleaning before i shot it. After a short trip back to TC to straighten the barrel it came back shooting close to MOA at 100yds. I was gonna run some JB bore paste through it, but it seemed nice and smooth, and as good as its shooting i dont want to change anything........Good luck im sure you will be very happy with your Triumph, i just wish i bought that before the Endeavor!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

REally. I have been wanting one since they came out. Back when most guys would say whats a triumph is that a bow. Now everyone has one. The main reason i went with it was the breech open design.
Originally Posted by revpilot
All i did to mine was give it a good cleaning before i shot it. After a short trip back to TC to straighten the barrel it came back shooting close to MOA at 100yds. I was gonna run some JB bore paste through it, but it seemed nice and smooth, and as good as its shooting i dont want to change anything........Good luck im sure you will be very happy with your Triumph, i just wish i bought that before the Endeavor!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I did was a good cleaning job, and she was shooting great !!!!

Good Luck
Old 11-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first thing I do to break in a new ML is find the Biggest Buck I can, then shoot him! This has always worked for me.
(BP)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

My Triumph used about 10 shots before grouping tight at 100 yds. Using 2, 777 pellets, T7 primers and a 250 gr Shockwave unbonded with the supplied sabot. Many here have different ideas on how best break in a gun. I completed a 1 shot and full clean. The Triumph is considered on of the best shooting guns out of the box. I would be surprised if it takes more then 10 shots to get in the kill zone. You must be consistent for consistent results.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

I broke mine in using the method I use for all of my firearms.. for the first ten shots, clean each time, I use a little bit of JB paste, Kroil and Butches bore shine..after 3-6-9 I use a product called "TM" or GM top engine cleaner.. it really takes care of the plastic.. I don't know if it actually makes it shoot any better but I do know it makes future clean-ups alot easier for both centerfires and in-lines.. you needn't worry about penetration of the 250 grain shockwave with either 2 or 3 777's.. it will smash right on through.. great rifle, super accurate, I don't know if it's the best trigger on the market but I've never shot one better yet.. they are hard to beat in any category..mine will shoot sub two inch groups all day long after the first fouling shot..
Old 11-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't worry about a break-in period or procedure. I just take a new rifle and go shooting after carefully and thoroughly cleaning it.

If accuracy is not what I expect at first I don't get too upset and try different load combinations. All the time I'm experimenting the barrel is getting smoothed out (broken in) so I just keep at it until I find a load I like.

If accuracy is acceptable with the first shooting session I'm ready to go hunting.

If I never find that magic load and accuracy is still bad after a couple hundred shots I figure it is the rifle is just not a good shooter.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. Guess i will go with the shot once and clean for the first 10 rounds or so.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

How often you have to clean is dictated by the powder you use. If you're shooting anything but Blackhorn 209 smokeless, you'll need to swab the bore after every shot for best accuracy. After two shots without cleaning you may not be able to ram the bullet because the bore is too dirty.

As for "break in" of a ML? I really don't think that it exists. The pressures and flame temps are too low and the plastic sabot to metal contacts just isn't going to reshape the steel of the bore. Just go out and shoot it and don't sweat the whole "break in" thing.

Mike