Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Where to start?

Old 11-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Where to start?

I'm thinking I want to start hunting with a muzzleloader/blackpowder next season.

Can anyone point a wannabe-newbie in the right direction to get started? Literature, gun recommendations, etc...

There are decent opportunities for hunting whitetails here with short range weapons only. I was thinking a muzzleloader. It's something I have never done.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Wlfdg; 11-01-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would start right here on huntingnet. I am kind of new to blackpowder myself, but everything I have learned, has been right here. There are a bunch of very helpful guys around here.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

First thing you do is learn the restrictions your state has on the kind of muzzle loader, ignition system, powders, projectiles, etc. Sabotloader is from Idaho and he can be a big help in getting you to pick a correct and accurate rifle.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am new to. Nights are good from what i read they cost alot. Tc makesa good selection. The omega is a cheap gun for a good start. I choose the TC triumph camo. It breechs like a shotgun for easy acces to the primer and breech plug. It has the toolless speed breech that can be removed with one had with a 90% turn. From handling the triumph a couple times before buying it it is a little tricky to much one way and it will not come out. To much of a turn it will not go back in. It is like a bolt that is smooth on two sides. Half of it is round and threaded half is smooth and cut out SO it slides in and turns tight. I can not tell you how it handles or shoots as i ordered mine from a forum member and should have it early to mid next week. It cost me 479.00 but most want 550 to 600 for it.

My reason for getting the muzzleloader was season lenth. I can gun hunt from nov 14th to 28th with a modern gun. i can muzzleloader hunt gun season plus the muzzleloader only seasonf rom like dec 6th to 26th s i get like another 3 weeks.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you live in Idaho and that is likely where you will be hunting, Dave's suggestion of checking the regs is an absolute must as Idaho has some rather odd requirements.

A White plunger action rifle would be a good choice if you can find one in great condition - a White Ultra Mag or 97 Whitetail Hunter would be excellent choices.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Underclocked
Since you live in Idaho and that is likely where you will be hunting, Dave's suggestion of checking the regs is an absolute must as Idaho has some rather odd requirements.
No kidding
.45cal or larger for deer, pronghorn or lion. .50cal. or larger for elk, moose, bighorn,mtn.goat or bear.
No breech loaders muzzle loader only.
No scopes
Loose powder only
Projectile must be within .010" of bore diameter. No sabots
Patched round ball or conical non-jacketed projectile of lead or lead alloy
Equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is exposed or visible when the weapon is ****ed and ready to fire.

Well I guess that kind of limits things? So basically something like a traditional Hawkins Rifle?
Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad is right on as usual. The first thing to do is check the regulations. Then if you can, try a few muzzys out if you can. Maybe some friends. If that isn't an option, lets us know what you will be hunting, the ranges you think you will be shooting, etc. We will try to help you out.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Idaho Muzzleloader Regs.
.45cal or larger for deer, pronghorn or lion. .50cal. or larger for elk, moose, bighorn,mtn.goat or bear.
No scopes
Loose powder only
Equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is exposed or visible when the weapon is ****ed and ready to fire.

So based on the regulations above is this what I am looking at having to hunt with?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...d_blk_pwdr_rfl

Do any of you have any experience with Cabelas muzzleloaders? Is this a good place to start?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wlfdg
Idaho Muzzleloader Regs.
No scopes
Loose powder only

So based on the regulations above is this what I am looking at having to hunt with?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...d_blk_pwdr_rfl

Do any of you have any experience with Cabelas muzzleloaders? Is this a good place to start?
That is one way to stick with the traditional styles. The other is to find an inline that uses the sliding hammer style of system like a White 97 or some of the older CVA or Knight rifles. The primer is open and visible when the hammer is back which makes them legal that way. I would prefer one of those over a Cabelas traditional.
Most of them are Italian made rifles. They are OK but the inlines are a little more up to date for hunting.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Spike

if you are gong to buy a traditional, the lyman great plains hunter is a good choice it comes with a 1-32 twist which is great for shooting conicals, also you can buy additional barrels so you can shoot a .50 cal one day and then shoot a .54 (1-66) twist for patch and rounds another day. plus it looks more like a hawken.

midsouth shooting supplies has the best prices for muzzle loaders in the traditional stlye which can be shipped to your door.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Last edited by Sagebrush1; 11-01-2009 at 05:57 PM.