Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How Long Can One Leave The Charge In? >

How Long Can One Leave The Charge In?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Long Can One Leave The Charge In?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thanks Fellas

I feel better about my plan. One question on the tape for the end of the barrel. Do you just use scotch tape a fire right through it?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

There was a guy came up to our cabin last year with his T/C Hawken percussion. He said he had left the charge in since last year and it went off and hit where it was supposed to. This is extreme and I definately wouldn't recommend it.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
I feel better about my plan. One question on the tape for the end of the barrel. Do you just use scotch tape a fire right through it?

I use finger cots from the drug store most of the time.
Cheap and for the most part effictive.

I also got some of those ultimate bore protectors and they are much thicker and tougher than the finger cots.

http://www.ultimateboreprotection.com/
Old 11-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Josmund
I use some good Masking Tape and cut the tape in circles, larger than the end of the barrel. I first take a pice of the tape and put it on and off the end of the barrel a few times to get any oil off the end of the barrel to insure a good tight fit. Then I use the pice I have cut in a circle for it. It will stay on through rain and snow. Yes shoot right through it with no problems, it wont affect accuracy.
My wife is also a Nurse and she brings me (finger cots) as mentioned above, I have yet to try these but other members use them regulary with the same results, Im sure there as good. But I like the look of the tape better.
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot and clean my gun at the end of the hunt, daily. No need taking any chances. If anything changes with the load, I could miss that 200+ yard shot. Not uncommon on open-country muleys.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Spike

I have left mine in for a month of hunting in Iowa snow weather and no problems. Just cover the barrel with a couple layers of saran wrap and rubbler bands or use the ones they sell. Never had a problem yet in 10 years or more. That is with a modern muzzle loader not the older style.