Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bore butter.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default bore butter.

What is bore butter and do i need some for the triumph. Also whats the deal with using water to clean the barrel. My plan was just clean it and lube it like a rifle. Solvent down then wipe if clean then some gun oil wipe dry is that a bad idea for a triumph. I plan on using sabot shockwaves and T7 pellets. or maybe pro pellets.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Bore Butter, Wonder Lube, Wonder Lube 1000... all the same thing basically is a wax compound possibly sold, at least endorsed by Thompson Center I believe. It is a barrel treatment they claim. Remember the old term of seasoning metal. Seasoning your Grandma's fry pan. That's where you let a coating of oils build up on the metal. That acts as a no stick surface. Great for fry pans, lousy for firearms.

In the old days, when metals were not what they are today, the inside of the barrel was allowed to season. This was so the old black powder would not stick to it as much, it cleaned up easier, and kept the barrel from rusting. That is hardly the case today with all the barrel treatment products and gun oil out there on the market.

Bore Butter is also used as a conical lube, and a patch lube when shooting ball. It works real good there. People who protect the inside of their rifle barrels with Bore Butter are technically waxing the barrel. Like your car. No water, no oxygen or air on the metal surface... No rust. The problem with Bore Butter used like that is, if you apply it wrong, and that is easy to do, your going to have rust in your barrel.

Your triumph is high quality steel. You should treat it as such. As for the water to clean with. Water is still in a lot of cases the best cleaner for a muzzle loader. You flush the fouling out of the bore. Also many products will clean up with just water. But you must dry the bore of the barrel before you apply your coating of gun oil. Many do this by running a alcohol patch through them, then some dry patches. Others run a WD-40 patch which also displaces water (hence WD).

The main thing is bore butter will not help your rifle. You can clean it with solvent if you wish to spend the money. I use a simple house hold cleaner like dish soap water, 409, Simple Green, Windex, alcohol, and leave the solvent to remove lead, plastic, and copper build up from time to time.

Use what ever you feel comfortable using.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bore butter is a bullet lubricant for conicals, that some guys use as a protective coating when the gun is being stored. I used to use it for storage, but now I just use regular gun oil. Soapy water is popular for cleaning black powder as it easily removes the crud, but most people shooting inlines just use solvent-dampened patches. I make my own with patches soaked in BP solvent, and then I squeeze out most of the solvent so they're just moist. Don't forget the breech plug and the threads inside the barrel.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I no longer use it in any of my muzzy's
Old 10-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Spike

Can bore butter be used on the breech plug? My Dad has always used it and I wondered if it was the correct thing or not.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see Kind of what i thought. PRoperly stay with solvent. Do not want a mistake to cost me a 500 gun. SO gun lube it is
Originally Posted by cayugad
Bore Butter, Wonder Lube, Wonder Lube 1000... all the same thing basically is a wax compound possibly sold, at least endorsed by Thompson Center I believe. It is a barrel treatment they claim. Remember the old term of seasoning metal. Seasoning your Grandma's fry pan. That's where you let a coating of oils build up on the metal. That acts as a no stick surface. Great for fry pans, lousy for firearms.

In the old days, when metals were not what they are today, the inside of the barrel was allowed to season. This was so the old black powder would not stick to it as much, it cleaned up easier, and kept the barrel from rusting. That is hardly the case today with all the barrel treatment products and gun oil out there on the market.

Bore Butter is also used as a conical lube, and a patch lube when shooting ball. It works real good there. People who protect the inside of their rifle barrels with Bore Butter are technically waxing the barrel. Like your car. No water, no oxygen or air on the metal surface... No rust. The problem with Bore Butter used like that is, if you apply it wrong, and that is easy to do, your going to have rust in your barrel.

Your triumph is high quality steel. You should treat it as such. As for the water to clean with. Water is still in a lot of cases the best cleaner for a muzzle loader. You flush the fouling out of the bore. Also many products will clean up with just water. But you must dry the bore of the barrel before you apply your coating of gun oil. Many do this by running a alcohol patch through them, then some dry patches. Others run a WD-40 patch which also displaces water (hence WD).

The main thing is bore butter will not help your rifle. You can clean it with solvent if you wish to spend the money. I use a simple house hold cleaner like dish soap water, 409, Simple Green, Windex, alcohol, and leave the solvent to remove lead, plastic, and copper build up from time to time.

Use what ever you feel comfortable using.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by saxman1
I no longer use it in any of my muzzy's
After doing research here and other places i ditched the bore butter last yr as well..

I use a 50/50 mix of alcohol and windshield washer fluid for my wet patches.. It seems to clean very well.. For storage I put some CLP on a patch and run it thru the bore

Brian
Old 10-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by chevymanar
Can bore butter be used on the breech plug? My Dad has always used it and I wondered if it was the correct thing or not.
I thought you really wanted a 'anti-seize' product for the breech plug..
but as long as you can still remove the breech plug its must be working

brian
Old 10-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to use Wonder Lube until I wised up.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

how do i get all the butter out of my inline if i cant get anything to flow through the barrel, the spot for my percussion caps is kepping it from flowing through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.