Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Removing and re-installing scope after cleaning >

Removing and re-installing scope after cleaning

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Removing and re-installing scope after cleaning

Old 10-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Removing and re-installing scope after cleaning

I've got a .54cal t/c renegade that I have a scope on (not so good eye sight). It is a pain to clean with the scope on it after a range session. I try resting the end of the scope on a block of wood and several times it slipped off and hit the garage floor (dont think hard enough to move scope). anyway I have just the regular old weaver rings on it and I was wondering if I remove the scope from the base (leaving the rings attached to the scope) and clean it and then tighten the rings back down on the base will the scope hold the same point of impact? I know they make the detachable rings but I am on a very fixed income. Thanks for any info
Old 10-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't think that will work. I would go to Traditions Arms.. in their bargin cave they have quick release scope rings for $16.00. I have used a couple of them and they seem to work real well.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

another option would be a cleaning hose flush type system. i use the edge of a 5 gallon plastic pale to rest the scope and barrel on and stick the hose into the water filled hot soapy water bucket. i weighted the hose end that goes into the bucket down by slipping a couple nylon locking nuts onto the clear hose. this keeps the hose in the bucket and stops it from popping out of the bucket. i also put a zip lock bag over the scope. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=2729

Last edited by liquidorange; 10-25-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Spike

yes it will work I have done it many times with my rifle swapping scopes back and forth. just because you have to use a screwdriver makes no difference. just easier using quick release rings.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Everyone is going to shake their heads at this Shooter.

I have a Simmons scope on my Renegade barrel and had the same problem you describe. It was a pain in the butt.

The last two times I cleaned it I just removed the barrel from the stock, removed the nipple from the breech, held the barrel vertical in my left hand, dunked the breech end in a bucket of water far enough to submerge the breech plug - scope and all - and pumped the bore with the cleaning rod in my right hand. The scope was submerged right up to the turrets. Doesn't seem to have harmed a thing - at least it hasn't so far. I guess I ought to write Simmons a nice letter of compliment and/or apology.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Look at it this way Semisane... if that scope fails from water, it would have failed out in the field. I am never gentle with my optics. I don't mean to imply that I abuse them, but why would you handle them with kid gloves? I managed to break one Thompson Center 1x32mm (not intentionally) by basically cleaning a rifle and not being careful where the water spilled.

I should note... Thompson Center replaced the scope no questions. All I had to do was mail the old one in and they mailed me a brand new one.

That is with the quick release mounts. So far it has been holding true.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have used Weaver 4x4 rings on both of my linline ML's. They have a quick release screw that is easy to operate and I have yet to have any problem with keeping zero.