Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need help!

Hey guys went to sight in my TC Triumph with 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff. Shooting TC mag express xtp and APP powder and winchester 209. Whether I use 95 - 110 grains the shots are all over the target. 6" high, low and right. No given pattern. Does it sound like my scope is bad (cross hairs seem intact and I checked mounts). I'm going crazy over this as the season starts the 31
Old 10-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

Got any different powder to try?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

I had read that this stuff draws moisture and will shoot all over the place. I opend the new can today and I noticed it did have clump in it about a 1/2" in size.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Check the mounts on your scope and the rings.. but before I send the scope back, I would get a pound of Pyrodex RS and a box of 250 grain Shockwaves and try that in the rifle.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's a pain in the butt, but the quickest way to check a problem like that is to pull the scope immediately while at the range and try the same load at 50 yards with iron sights. The advantage is that you already have the components on hand and if you get crappy groups with iron sights you know you need to try a different load, plus you save the time and frustration of sending a perfectly good scope back.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Com 45acp
Hey guys went to sight in my TC Triumph with 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff. Shooting TC mag express xtp and APP powder and winchester 209. Whether I use 95 - 110 grains the shots are all over the target. 6" high, low and right. No given pattern. Does it sound like my scope is bad (cross hairs seem intact and I checked mounts). I'm going crazy over this as the season starts the 31
I helped my buddy sight in his Triumph and we used 110gr's of Pyrodox RS, the (same) 240gr TC mag Express Sabots and Winchester W209's and the ML shot great with that load.
Try some different powder and Im sure you'll have better results. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
BP