Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T777 Shelf Life Question >

T777 Shelf Life Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T777 Shelf Life Question

Old 10-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default T777 Shelf Life Question

I bought a pound of T777 last year and wonder how long the shelf life of T777 is.I would like input from anyone who has some experience in how long it has lasted for you.Thanks,Mike
Old 10-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

vaslugger

I have had it for as long as 5 years... if the jug has been sealed tightly it should be just fine. Just checked the jug I am using right now - I bought it in 03 of 07... I label the jugs as I buy them....
Old 10-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

In loose powder form, I have some that is over three years old, and still good. Yet, I purchased some pellets last year at the end of season and they went bad. So it is hard to tell.

But in loose form, I have had powder over eight years old and it still shot well.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had T7 for 3 years and it still shot fine. I do put a couple packets of silica gel in each can (to keep it dry) and make sure the lid is sealed tight. But it's worked fine for me.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys for the feedback!Just did not want to buy any more this year if possible.Getting my sons 30-30 Marlin set up with a scope and spending enough as it is in this recession.Once again thanks for the information. Mike
Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

I wounder if the pellets were put in a air tight container . The boxes they come in don't look like they are air tight once opened . But i have never opened one . So i am just guessing .
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

As soon as WM drops the price i will be buying 4-5 tubs of 777 . After the season they close out all the muzzle loaders stuff and i have seen the powder go for 8.00 a tub . Bullets/sabots for 5.00 , Being i live in N.Utah it is very dry so the powder should last for a long time .