Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bellm TC Parts for Encore >

Bellm TC Parts for Encore

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bellm TC Parts for Encore

Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bellm TC Parts for Encore

For anyone who has used Bellm aftermarket parts (hinge pin, trigger spring, hammer spring) in their Encore, has there been a REAL increase in accuracy? Although my old Encore muzzleloader has killed quite a few deer, it has never been particularly accurate. Three inch groups at 100 yds has been the best, and it is VERY touchy about loads: sabot, bullet, powder charge, etc. With some load combos, the groups are MUCH worse.

Our Omega. on the other hand, is much more accurate, (1.5" or less) with anything we dump into it. However, the Omega has a tighter barrel than the Encore, and can be pretty miserable to load with some sabots. Could this be the reason for it's accuracy?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've installed the 1X hinge pin and the stiffer lock-up spring. Seems to have helped a little with the accuracy of my Endeavor. But it was very accurate before the mods. I think the biggest thing with muzzleloaders is load development. You have to take the time to try different powder loads, different sabots, and different bullets you like to really fine tune your muzzleloaders accuracy.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

When I got my Encore I called the folks at TC they told me that if I didn't get at least 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards I should send it in.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the .001 oversize hinge pin, the stronger hammer spring and the lockup springs from Bellm. On the guns with wooden stocks and forearms make sure the ears of the forearm are not touching the front of the receiver. It the forearm ears are contacting the receiver accuracy can go to pot.

My Encore is not picky about loads at all. It shoots the 200 grain SST, the 250 grain SST, the 240 grain .430 XTP and the 350 grain FPB really well. By varying the powder charge i can make that gun shoot the 200 grain SST, the 250 grain SST and the 350 grain FPB to the same point of aim out to 75 yards. After that the FPB starts to drop. The 200 grain SST and the 250 grain SST will go to the same point of aim to well past 100 yards.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

It is a walnut stocked model, and the ears are close, but I can see light between the ears and the receiver. There does appear to be quite a bit of slop in the hinge, however. If I hold it by the stock, I can feel the barrel move back and forth--much like a worn out double barrel shotgun.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can feel the barrel move back and forth--much like a worn out double barrel shotgun.
Despite the oversize hinge pin, mine still has a little play. This really bends me out of shape at TC. The barrel of my 60+ year old Winchester model 37 shotgun has no play. Despite all the modern CNC equipment TC just can't seem to get it right.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

get the hinge pin if it is thta loode. 1st step to accuracy.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

i redid all of the springs but saw no change in accuracy ..my favorite upgrade was the aluminum hammer extention ..nice to have when wearing gloves [it gets cold up here ]
Old 10-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

When i got my Encore the first thing i did was float the barrel . Then i noticed how much play i had in the hinge pin . If i slammed my encore closed i had no play , if i shut it slowly i had a ton . Then i replaced the hinge pin with a 1x and a stronger locking bar spring and it ''now'' locks up very very solid . I also added jb-weld to the forearm and filled the butt stock with foam and added Jb-weld inside the grip around the bolt that holds the butt stock on . I could not keep the stocks tight and every time they came loose my groups would go nut 3'' at 50 yards . I also got the .25acp conversion . After all i have done, my groups have tightened up a lot and my Encore is a tack driver . I can only use a 1x scope for hunting here, so all my groups are done at around 50 yards , Here is a photo of a 8 shot group i did yesterday testing the 300 grain XTPs and gold dots to see if they shot the same . I rotated one gold dot then one Xtp and so on !!

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o...stDSCN0330.jpg
Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

When I first got mine it was possible to get 3/4" @ 100yrds but it took a lot of load development and then and only then EVERYTHING had to be perfect. I had the same trouble as others with the barrel slop, I ordered the heavy barrel lug spring, the 1x hinge pin, the heavy hammer spring and then the most important and I feel the biggest improvement for accuracy the 3-4lb? trigger kit. It was the weight that Mike recommenced for a hunting gun. The results were amazing, I did the installs myself by following his online instructions and it was a snap. I do find like some of the others that the tolerances are so tight that they can be pretty finicky when it comes to your load development and your cleaning ritual, if you stray away from your sighting in methods your POI will sacrifice. When you find it and get it right the Encore will be one of the ones you will reach for every time the safe door flies open. Hope this helps.