Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Brown White

Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default A Brown White

Due to circumstances beyond my control I ended up owning this White rifle. I know it is a G-series and it has a 26" barrel which is painted brown. Why somebody would paint a stainless barrel I have no idea. just wondering if anybody could educate me on the model and any suggestions on how to get the brown paint off.

I would go over to DWB's but they speak a different language over there and I don't know if they could understand me

Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

dphobby

In the end I would venture to say that you will end up loving that little gun. If it is in good shape you will not believe how accurate it is....

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/

Go down the page and select 'G Series'

Wait a minute - I am not as good as others identifying Whites, but with a 26" barrel and the pictures you provided - that might be a model 97.

Dave of UC will know for sure...

Last edited by sabotloader; 10-20-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure that is not an Ultra Mag?

Otherwise, I don't understand you.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pull the action/barrel out of the stock and take a couple of pictures of the underside of the action area and post them, please.

So far as the paint removal, I would think any decent paint stripper would remove it. Just don't get it on the stock or any plastic parts. (take the thimbles off just in case, remove the action internals, and keep it out of the stock until finished)

Are you certain that finish is paint? Or could it be Duracoat/similar?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

UC

You know i think it is a U-Mag and further I think it might be a stainless that someone did not like - so they painted it or duracoated....

Note the firing pin and the shape of the hammer - It has the the 97 209 conversion...

dh - if you are not to sold on that gun what do you need to move it?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Banned

thats not paint! Thats weathershield!!

Nice rifle once you get that stuff off of there.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Figured it out it is a M97 with a 26" barrel ULTRAMAG.

I thought with the action being the same as my Whitetail it couldn't be an Ultramag but I guess I was wrong. I thought an ultramag had the push-pull plunger like the s-91.

I scraped a little of the paint off the muzzle with my fingernail so it won't be too hard to get off.

SL. I think I need to hang on to this one. Three Whites isn't too many is it?

Anybody see the Super Safari that sold on Gunbroker?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

[quote=MountainDevil54;3478746]thats not paint! Thats weathershield!!

I agree.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing someone made a mess of the matte finish of the stainless and decided to coat it. I would rather just take a Scotch-Brite pad to the steel and create my own version of a matte finish.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

dphobby

I think I need to hang on to this one. Three Whites isn't too many is it?
Ah heavens NO!, it's just you did not seem to eager that you got it... and if you were looking for a quick way to dispose of it... welllll? I thought I might be able to help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.