Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Remington Genesis Range session >

Remington Genesis Range session

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis Range session

Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Remington Genesis Range session

Yesterday I decided to work another rifle off the list. I took out my Remington Genesis. It wears a Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm scope. Since my shots are 50 yards, that's where I set my target.

I took a number of different shells. Some Hornady XTP 200 gr .40 cal in blue sabots with 100 grains of Triple Seven pellets. I had problems with the pellets last time out, and I just had to test the rest of them.

I took some 250 grain Hornady SST's in the supplied red sabots. I used 105 grains of Pyrodex RS (the 105 was because I miss read the powder measure in the bright sun shine).

Some .502 diameter 460 grain Bull Shop Conicals with 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f loose powder.

And last I used some 250 grain Barnes MZ Expanders in the supplied red sabots with 110 grains of Pyrodex RS.

Either the pellets were really under powered, or something. But they shot a lot lower then I thought. #1 was on a clean barrel. The conicals were really slip fit in this rifle. Actually a little too loose. But they did shoot well.

I made a slight scope adjustment and shot the three SST's. In the red sabots they fit snug but not tight. And well I was pleased with how they shot.

I then wanted to see what the scope adjustment did to the 200 grain XTP's. This time I loaded loose Triple Seven powder and no pellets. They did a little better this time. They are numbered 1-4 . I also shot three more of the conicals and while they moved up a little but, it was not as much as I felt they should have.

The real surprise was the Barnes. They shot almost identical to the SST's. They were in a similar red sabot. They fit snug but not tight. I shot them with 110 grains of Pyrodex.

So when I hunt, I think I will go with the Barnes MZ Expanders and 110 grains of Pyrodex RS for my 50 yard shooting with this rifle.

Only a couple dozen more rifles to check...
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice Cayugad! You sure can't go wrong selecting the Barnes for a hunting bullet. Were the Barnes the a,b,c on the second target, or the ones just above the center bull?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

The Barnes hit in the same hole as the 250 grain SST's. The others were the 200 grain XTP's. I actually think they would work just fine as well.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

The others were the 200 grain XTP's. I actually think they would work just fine as well.
I hope so. I just worked up a load with 200 grain XTP's in my .45 Renegade which I plan to carry for a few hunts this year.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad, that's about the same results I got out of 460 Bullshops in my Genesis. I was thinking it was because of the QLA. About 1 1/2 groups was about as good as I could get at 50 yards. But those Genesis will sure shoot the FPBs.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

If Dave can't can't get a rifle to shoot groups, nobody can!! Your usual good shootin Dave!! Lookout deer!!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

It's only 50 yards, and the rifle is scoped. The real kicker is what happens to my groups as I move back more. With open sights, I can hold my own out to 50 yards most any day. The eye doctor says I have the right prescription glasses, but when I get back around 75 and 100 yards with open sights, the groups just fall apart. I just have a hard time seeing detail on the targets when it gets way back there.

I also noticed the same holds true when I shoot a scope. Now you would think that with a scope the effect would not be so much, but I have noticed as of late, when I am back to 100 yards, my groups stink compared to most of you.

Maybe its my eyes playing tricks. I did find that I shoot better if I take my glasses off, and then set the scope to focus for my naked eye. But who is going to do that hunting. Maybe its time to see a different eye doctor... who knows.

TNHagies.. I have some of them Hornady FPB's around here. What powder charge and kind are you using when you shoot them? I am more then willing to give them a try.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, I was using 85g of BH. I never really played with the charge because that was the first one I tried and it produced 1 hole groups. I can't say anything for thier performance on game (yet) but they sure do shoot well. A couple other people I know that have Genesis' say that they shot really well for them as well.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did find that I shoot better if I take my glasses off, and then set the scope to focus for my naked eye.
I do the same thing Cayugad, but only with my Leupolds on 9X. I find I can keep my glasses on with the 4X ProDiamonds with no problem, using the fast focus eyepiece to clear everything up at any range. But I can't do that with higher power scopes.

Old eyes ain't fun!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Spike

I use the Remington Genisis full camo, and love it.
I have taken 3 deer at ranges from 100 to 175 yards with a 230 grain T/C sure fire sabot hollow point, using 100 grains of triple sevin pellets.
I have a T/C 3x9 scope.
Sighted in at 2 inches high at 100yds.
So far 1 shot one kill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.