Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thompson Center breech plug removal >

Thompson Center breech plug removal

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center breech plug removal

Old 10-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thompson Center breech plug removal

Hey Guys,

Last week I shot my Tc Omega Z5. I wanted to clean it but was unable to remove the breech plug. I tried using the lug wrench but it is really tight. I cleaned the barrell and did not go any further because this week is our early muzzeloder season in PA. My question is, when I am going to clean after this week, can I use wd-40 to remove? Also, instead of using the provided socket. Can I just use a regular socket. I know this is probably an easy fix, but the provided removal tool seems to be stripping the edges of the breech plug. Any suggestions?

Stay Safe!

KC
Old 10-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

PAHUNTER105

I wanted to clean it but was unable to remove the breech plug. I tried using the lug wrench but it is really tight. I cleaned the barrell and did not go any further because this week is our early muzzeloder season in PA. My question is, when I am going to clean after this week, can I use wd-40 to remove?
You can use a good penetrating oil and let it soak in a bit. WD will probably work also.

Another trick you might try is running boiling water through the bore and breech plug - let the whole works heat up and expand then then take the plug out....

That is exactly what I use...

If you get a chance try some Teflon tape on your BP - sticking a BP is a thing of the past for me...

Old 10-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

What Sabotloader said.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I just got done putting my socket set away with the extension...

Also if the plug is really tight and the barrel comes off. I like to take the barrel off, and the stock, then where I can grip that thing, I like to put it in a vice. Be sure to protect the lug part of the gun with some cloth, leather, etc so the vice does not mark it up. I always worry about cranking too hard (which I am known to do) and cracking the stock.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

the magic about the breech plug is never send it home;right dave
snug it 2 fingers and some breech plug greas
Old 10-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

try some PB blaster. its great at moving frozen screws.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

lonewolf5348

Actually for me it works much better to 'snug it up' and stop the blow-bac on the face of the BP. Now when I say 'snug it up' I mean with the tape over the nose use the socket ratchet to compress the tape but not so tight that it tears the tape, but snug.

If you are using grease - you are probably right - but why use grease and the mess that it creates????
Old 10-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well of course the first thing it to get the locked up plug out.
For that if its really stuck, I would use the boiling water first then put either PB Blaster or Bolt Buster in with the barrel locked vertical and leave it set 24 hours if it is still stubborn I would heat the out side of the barrel but not long enough to get the plug hot [this expands the out side while the plug stays the same then more penetrating oil and some leverage. I have heard of some frozen so bad that it took radical means to get them loose but thats not normal, I never had one come in to the shop that I did not get loose.
To keep this from happening again. If you are using 777 thats a big part of the problem. Blackhorn for one does not do that. If you are tightening the plug to tight to start with thats part of the problem; most manufacturers recommend finger tight, and if you notice the premium quality guns can be taken down with the fingers [Triumph,Endeavor even one of the better CVA's and I hear an Omega in that class is in the works].
So if you insist on using 777 us Sabotloaders tape method and realize that there are a number of different thickness of tape. I use the white and put a very light coat of synthetic oil [Birchwood Casey] for most of mine even the Triumph and the Endeavor but I have to use pink on the Omega.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabotloaders
Old 10-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lonewolf5348
the magic about the breech plug is never send it home;right dave
snug it 2 fingers and some breech plug greas
Exactly what I do, never tighten the BP too tight, just finger tight, it's not going anywhere with all them threads. A socket and boiling water should do the trick.
Good Luck!
BP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.