Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gold Dot Performs

Old 10-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gold Dot Performs

Hit a doe with a 270g Gold Dot, and she never got her her feet. The load was 105g BH209, Harvester smooth green sabot,Winchester shot gun primer, launched by an Accura fitted with a Leupold 4 power scope. The bullet went through the on side shoulder, busted ribs and ended up in the off side shoulder somewhere. It didn't hit the back bone, but she was unable to stand. I thought she had been hit in the back bone the way she acted, but when gutted i could see she hadn't. The bullet went through the chest so high, it didn't hit much inside the chest cavity. The range was 229 yd according to gps. Didn't have a range finder, so had to guess, and held some high for the shot.

Stumbled on the bunch of deer, and was surprised they didn't see me with so many eyes; guess most were asleep. Crawled closer and closer till i could get some kind of a shot. Discovered a big disadvantage to a muzzle loader in that situation. I couldn't reload laying on the ground, and they all just stood there trying to figure out what the commotion was about. Finally after quite a long while i rose to my knees, and reloaded. This made the bunch nervous, and they hopped off. When they heard the metallic sound of the ram rod on the bullet, this really made them nervous and some began running. If i would have had a breech loader i may have been able to kill more than two, but at the very least two would be dead.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

congratulations on the hunt.. that is some fine shooting. A lot of people swear by them Gold Dot Speer bullets. Your one more reason for trying them I guess. Nice going.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had situations like that before and managed to reload on my back. I had to pour the power pretty careful but got it all down, then the sabot still pushes it down all the way. I use steady pressure on the bullet rather than smacking it to make a metal on metal sound, so they never hear it coming!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the deer.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
I've had situations like that before and managed to reload on my back. I had to pour the power pretty careful but got it all down, then the sabot still pushes it down all the way. I use steady pressure on the bullet rather than smacking it to make a metal on metal sound, so they never hear it coming!

Well, i decided that carrying pre-measured powder in Lane's Tubes was the way to go. If i would have had some kind of tube with a funnel i could have tried that. Perhaps carrying a U-View measure, and pouring the powder into the measure and then using the measure to pour the powder into the barrel would have worked.

Oh well, it was very difficult for me to get the deer to the road. It didn't take long to realize i couldn't just drag the deer to the truck. So, i left the deer and walked the 3/4 mile; got the sled, and walked 3/4 mile back to the deer, and hauled it to the road. Dragging the sled wasn't as easy as i hoped it would be, but at least i could do it. It wasn't long before i was glad i didn't have to deal with 2 deer. It has been so muddy, that i don't know if a game cart would have worked. The mud is so sticky i grow taller with thicker soles on my shoes quite quickly, and then fight to get it off. I have washed the inside of the wheels of the truck twice now, so that the steering wheel doesn't shake whilst driving on the highway.

Next Sunday is opening day in Montana, so i imagine you will head up there soon. Good luck hunting Elk. I am heading up there this next Thursday or so, and will set up camp in the Little Belts. I only have a tag for antlerless white tail, but hopefully i will count coup on an Elk.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Well, i decided that carrying pre-measured powder in Lane's Tubes was the way to go. If i would have had some kind of tube with a funnel i could have tried that.

Next Sunday is opening day in Montana, so i imagine you will head up there soon. Good luck hunting Elk. I am heading up there this next Thursday or so, and will set up camp in the Little Belts. I only have a tag for antlerless white tail, but hopefully i will count coup on an Elk.
I'm still looking for a powder container that will fit in the muzzle. I'd carry the bullets separate for the convenience of not even having to look as I pour the powder. The only "funnel" I used was my fingers on each side.

Yes, thanks, I'm off for elk on the 30th. I don't fight the crowds. Elk/muley/antelope this year. We're camping in the back country this year to get less hiking time and more hunting time. We're going in with backpacks only so it will be challenging.

I'm seeing pretty chilly forecasts...don't know if it stuck but when my buddy sent photos of his big bow 6X6 there was already snow in the back country...

The Omega and 325gr FTX are going for antelope.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Have ya'll ever thought about making a speed loader out of copper tubing?

Just wondering.

Al
Old 10-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Have ya'll ever thought about making a speed loader out of copper tubing?

Just wondering.

Al
Not specifically but have thought about some sort of PVC or something. Need to figure out a secure capping method.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just use the tubes and carry a small plastic funnel. In my case, "speed loading" is an oxymoron.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

spaniel

The rubber foot that pushes on over a card table leg - they come in all different diameters they would work very well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.