Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I'm back - Not ML but FYI >

I'm back - Not ML but FYI

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm back - Not ML but FYI

Old 10-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default I'm back - Not ML but FYI

Guys - I made it back from my sucessfull bison hunt. I also took a bobcat. Both are at the taxidermist now. What a blast. Even though no black powder was involved.
Attached Thumbnails I'm back - Not ML but FYI-texas-disc-2-00002a.jpg  
Old 10-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Wow!!! congratulations on the Bison. That is a beautiful animal. I have thought about hunting one of them someday. With a muzzleloader. You will have to tell us the story of the hunt..
Old 10-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

You are the MAN Bronko! Taking one of those brutes with a bow. Congrats!
Old 10-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys this hunt was fun. Finding the buffalo herd and picking out a bull wasn't hard at all. As you can see the terrain was wide open and you walked right up to them. You couldn't 'sneak' because they would get nervous and run. The problem was that they wouldn't tolerate you there for long. And then the chase was on. You had to try to keep up with them which wasn't easy. Find your animal again and try to position for a shot. He had to be broadside, and no one in front or behind him. Sometimes you were surrounded by buffalo and had to watch you didn't get between a cow and her calf. It took me about 2 hours before I got my shot and that was longer than I wanted (32 yds). But the Ross was up to the task and sent the first arrow right where I wanted it, right to the heart. Unfortunately, I discovered the rib cage that low is thick and the ribs are close together. The 70 lb bow and carbon arrow with the Magnus Stinger was not enough oomph to punch through all that bone. It took a long time to catch up to him again - but I finally got to within 17 yds and double lunged him and he only went about 60 yds and piled up.
My friend also go one but his was easy. It only took him about 10 mins to get his. We found another herd of about 70 animals, picked one out, walked up to them, and some went to the right and some walked straight away and the one he wanted stood broadside at 15 yds waiting for him to shoot. His ran about 100 yds and stood there for about 5 mins then fell over.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Your freezer must be overflowing.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Now!! Let's all meet at Bronko's house. Bison steaks on the pit. HooRah!

CONGRATULATIONS on a beautiful animal Bronko.