Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Traditions Vortek - Early Reviews >

Traditions Vortek - Early Reviews

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Vortek - Early Reviews

Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default Traditions Vortek - Early Reviews

I visit the Traditions website frequently enough but usually skip over the interactive Vortek feature advertising. But an eye witness report about someone shooting a half dollar size group with the Vortek at 200 yards using Black Mag3 and 200 grain bullets led me to go back there and look it over more closely and to search for some feedback about it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=480548

It's been out for a only a short time so there's not much written about it.
There are 2 very favorable user reviews on the Cabela's site awarding it 5 stars:

Vortek, October 10, 2009
By VinSC from South Carolina

"I have had the Vortek 2 weeks now. I mounted a Leupold 3x9 on it and have shot 60 rounds through it with various bullets and BH209 powder (100GR) the first groups where 1 1/2-2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Then I was hitting 1" by the last 20 shots.
I was shooting 20 rounds each Hornady SST 260 1st group, Cabela's 260 dead centers 2nd and Harvester's Scorpian PT Gold 3rd group all these shot excellent,but the harvesters were hitting moa at 100 and they were the easiest to load.
The rifle is well balanced and has a nice feel I had to remove the rear sight to install the scope , but I new I was going to scope it before I bought it. The gun is also very easy to clean especially with the blackhorn 209 and I am using Winchester 209 primers. This is a very nice Muzzleloader and I am glad I bought it."

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&cm_ite=netcon
TRADITIONS VORTEK .50-CALIBER, September 17, 2009
By 209GUY

"Got my VORTEK after wait for it to hit the market. It's was worth the wait and more than I ever expected it to be.
Put a TRADITIONS 3x9x40 Scope on it and after bore sighting and 3 shot adjustment at the range, grouped 4 shots in the center at 100 yards using 250 shock wave with 150 gr of power.
This is the best Muzzel Loader I have ever owned."

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&cm_ite=netcon
Here's an interactive product page listing major features about it:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/

And on Sept. 23, a young man shot a big bruiser buck with his Vortek at 25 yards. See the pictures:

http://www.buckventuresoutdoors.com/...n-sept-23-2009

Now that Knight has gone out of business, it seems that Ardesa/Traditions is stepping up the competition a notch with Thompson Center.

Last edited by arcticap; 10-15-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think there's a reason ported barrels on MLs have never caught on, doesn't sound like a lot of fun to clean. I'd only run BH209 in that gun to avoid corrosion in the ports.

Traditions has a LONG way to go before I think they've caught up enough in quality to justify the way their prices have climbed in the last 4-5 years.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a decent rifle but not for me.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Though I'm sure it's not as nice as a Knight LRH or the similar, I'm sure it's still all the average ML hunter would need. Most people trashed the Genesis (which this basically is with a speed breech) until a few people started buying them. Then all of a sudden they were a "nice gun".

Hardcore ML shooters probably won't be interested but like I said, the average ML hunter who's looking to extend his season, it will work just fine for them.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

For the price they are getting for them why not a Omega or Triumph or better yet a CVA Accura
Old 10-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Typical Buck

I don't plan on buying one, but it's obvious that they're trying to mimic the Triumph and at Cabela's the price difference is significant, $359 for the Vortek vs. $479 for the Triumph.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Is the Triumph worth the price difference? Maybe it is for some, everyone is a judge when it comes to spending their own cash.
Then there's the Vortek's ergonomics vs. the CVA's.
Not all rifles feel the same and maybe the Hogue stock does feel better to some folks.
Personally I'm not very impressed with TC's Weathershield finish which has drawn some complaints about it failing to prevent rust.

Last edited by arcticap; 10-15-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if they ever discount them to half price like they did the Genesis, I might be tempted to sell my Genesis and pick one up, just for the heck of it. I see they still have the funky 2-piece ramrod (at least it looks the same).
Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Most people trashed the Genesis (which this basically is with a speed breech) until a few people started buying them. Then all of a sudden they were a "nice gun". "

Nah, I'll still trash 'em! Cap-gun trigger and sticky cam that pivots on a gutter nail!!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Underclocked
"Most people trashed the Genesis (which this basically is with a speed breech) until a few people started buying them. Then all of a sudden they were a "nice gun". "

Nah, I'll still trash 'em! Cap-gun trigger and sticky cam that pivots on a gutter nail!!
Its only a matter of time before you are shooting one
Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

While I will admit that CVA has improved considerable, Traditions is still tail end charlie and comparing them to a TC is a big stretch.