Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New To Muzzleloading-a few ?'s on my new Rem 700 >

New To Muzzleloading-a few ?'s on my new Rem 700

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New To Muzzleloading-a few ?'s on my new Rem 700

Old 10-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default New To Muzzleloading-a few ?'s on my new Rem 700

I just obtained a Remington 700 ML .50 cal. .I've read the manual online but I'm not sure if I have the #11 nipple or a musket cap nip.It came with a bunch of tophats.Would it be safe to fire tophats into a #11 nipple? I have a box of 777 magnums, are they Pyrodex RS ? the manual says to only use Pyrodex RS. I also have a box of 250 Gr. Shockwave Superglides . I know that I can't be sure until I try it out for myself but could this be a good setup? Any other info on this gun would be appreciated.
thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

If it came with top hats, that is a old term to describe musket caps. The difference between the two, a #11 is much smaller, would never fit on a musket nipple, and it has no brim on the bottom. The musket cap looks like a tiny hat.

Since your using pellets and musket caps, you might have some ignition problems, but only range time will tell. Actually if I were shooting pellets I would want a 209 breech plug in there.

777 is safe to use, as is Pyrodex RS. Just never put any smokeless powder in that rifle is all. Those Shockwaves might shoot just fine. All you can do is try. Be sure to swab between shots with a moist patch. Work it in short strokes down the barrel and back up a couple times.

If you do have ignition problems, go out and get a jug of Pyrodex RS loose or 777 2f loose powder. Then you will have no problems. Pellets are a little hard to ignite which is why the 209 shotgun primers are used.

If you want the whole scoop on that rifle get a hold of Sabotloader. He has a couple and can tell you all about the rifle, what it likes, dislikes, etc..
Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

[quote=PREDATE;3466254.Would it be safe to fire tophats into a #11 nipple? I have a box of 777 magnums, are they Pyrodex RS ? the manual says to only use Pyrodex RS. I also have a box of 250 Gr. Shockwave Superglides . I know that I can't be sure until I try it out for myself but could this be a good setup? Any other info on this gun would be appreciated.
thanks![/quote]
]I just obtained a Remington 700 ML .50 cal. .I've read the manual online but I'm not sure if I have the #11 nipple or a musket cap nip.It came with a bunch of tophats
Put one on if it is a snug fit its the right one if its real sloppy then its not, if it won't fit its the wrong one.The top hats are musket caps and are bigger and stronger and more reliable.
777 and pyrodex are two different kinds of powder You can use either but most of us have not had much luck with magnum pellets. You might try some loose RS .
Question on that particular rifle will be well answered if you ack Sabotloader.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

PREDATE

I'm not sure if I have the #11 nipple or a musket cap nip.It came with a bunch of tophats.
Cap with 'top hat's' are normally Musket caps. The nipple for a Musket cap has a greater diameter than than does a #11. A #11 cap will not even go on a Musket Nipple but a Musket Cap will go on a #11 nipple - it will not stay there but it will go on.

Would it be safe to fire tophats into a #11 nipple?
I am not sure you could keep a Musket nipple on a #11 post unless you point the gun straight down. I would not suggest using a musket cap on a #11 nipple.

I have a box of 777 magnums, are they Pyrodex RS ?
I assume you are asking about 777 Mag pellets? - they are not the same as Pyro Pellets. They are the stronger variety of T7 pellets. And yes, you can shoot them in your Remington 2 pellets max - to be safe.

the manual says to only use Pyrodex RS.
The Rem 700 manual was written before T7 even came on the market. I shoot loose T7 in my Rem's all the time. I shoot a .458/300 grain Nosler with 120 grains of powder and a 110 grain for all other projectiles (loose powder)

I also have a box of 250 Gr. Shockwave Superglides .
If you like the 250SW's go with them.... the Super glide sabot may be a bit thin for the Remington - you will probably need the standard black sabot, a MMP HPH-24 sabot, or a Harvester Short Black to get the best accuracy.

Any other info on this gun would be appreciated.
thanks!
I have three of the 700 ml's and I really like them they are very good guns, even though they are using the old technology. They are accurate and they are strong. Make sure you take the bolt apart and clean the hammer and hammer spring after shooting. If you have a probelm getting caps to fire you may have to replace the factory hammer spring. It was not the strongest spring in the world and if it has been eaten at by BP residue it might even be weaker.

Good luck with the new gun...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

I've also read from an old post on this site that a stronger spring might be a good idea,as the factory ones might be a little underpowered when using percussion caps.I'm not sure what adjustments were made to this gun if any,but replacement parts didn't turn up to be all that expensive so that's a plus.Should the tophat fit tightly on the nipple and in the firing pin? If so then I might need a smaller nipple (#11) I think someone has also mentioned that a #1 cap might ignite better? I took the weather shroud off because it is said that it could cause even more build-up when shooting multiple times.I'll put it back on before I hunt though.Do you think the weather shroud would effect the ignition?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys you answered my questions before I could ask them.I now have some suggestions to work with.can't wait to give em' a try!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also wanted to add...My brother has one of those and they are very good rifles...His loves a 250 Barnes MZ bullet on top of 100grs of Pyrodex RS...Enjoy...
Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

PREDATE

Should the top hat fit tightly on the nipple and in the firing pin? If so then I might need a smaller nipple (#11) I think someone has also mentioned that a #1 cap might ignite better?
The Musket nipple might and probably will not fit 'tightly' on the post but it should slide on.... if it fits with obvioulsy slop the the post probabably is a #11.

I do prefer the the #11 mag cap to the Musket cap. It fits tighter and is no likely to fall off. You can pinch the Nusket to gether some and then it will fit tighter also. The #11 mag is slighyl hotter than a musket cap but the musket cap will create a longer (duration) spark.

[quote) I took the weather shroud off because it is said that it could cause even more build-up when shooting multiple times.I'll put it back on before I hunt though.Do you think the weather shroud would effect the ignition?[/quote]

The factory weather shield will not hold up to multiple shots from the 700 - the heat generated by the blow back will eventually burn a hole through it and of course with out it you get some burning on your scope unless you make a scope bra of some sort.
I make weather shields out of copper tubing - they last for-ever.

This a picture of the Canadian 209 adaptoer that i use in my Rems... Both of these pictures were after taking 20+ shoots with BH-209 powder.

I do not think the weather shield does effect ignition....