Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Got the Bone Collector back from TC >

Got the Bone Collector back from TC

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got the Bone Collector back from TC

Old 09-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got the Bone Collector back from TC

Well i finally got the bone collector back from TC. I shipped it back to them because it was shooting 10" groups at 100yds,and sometimes it wouldnt even hit the 2' x 2' target. I removed the scope and replaced everything. I took the brand new Nikon Omega scope off and returned to Cabelas and got the Leupold Ultimate slam, tried that and still the same thing. I read over on MM of another person having the same trouble who i contacted. They straightened his barrel and returned it, and he still had problems. They did the same to my gun and now it seems to be shooting good. I took the ultimate slam scope back and got the Nikon Omega again. Here are some targets from my first trip to the range since i got gun back from TC. I mounted the Nikon Omega back on and boresighted it. It was really windy , so i decided before i left, no scope adjustments, just shoot some different combos all with 90g and see what happens........... All these groups were from 100yds.
Attached Thumbnails Got the Bone Collector back from TC-bone-collector-007.jpg   Got the Bone Collector back from TC-bone-collector-006.jpg   Got the Bone Collector back from TC-bone-collector-004.jpg  

Last edited by revpilot; 09-30-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Straightened" the barrel? Heck, I'd be a little irritated like that, you paid for a premium gun you should get a barrel that's right, not wrong then jury-rigged to be acceptable...I can't imagine you can totally straighten a bent barrel.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Spaniel, dont hash the past. Ive lost several nights sleep over it. LOL Im trying to act like it never happend and i just took it out of the box for the first time.........
Old 09-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

...I can't imagine you can totally straighten a bent barrel.
Nearly all the barrel makers straighten barrels , usually before final turning. This is done in a hydraulic straightening jig.

http://www.ahlmans.com/customriflebarrels.html

Premium Grade

When the long hole is initially drilled through the length of the barrel, 90% of the time it has a slight curve. The barrel is then mechanically straightened before final turning. When excessively heating the barrel by "Rapid Firing", the barrel tends to return to it's original curved condition. It then moves back to straight when cooled. This can cause groups to "walk" slightly as the barrel heats up and cools. Barrel companies set aside the 10% of barrels that were drilled so close to perfect that they didn't require straightening and stamped these "Premium Grade". Therefore, a premium is no better steel. It basically means "unstraightened". For hunting guns, and heavy barreled guns, it should be considered.

[/quote]
Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I think the guy or gal that did that step at the factory got laid off........
Old 10-01-2009, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like they fixed it. But it should have been like that in the first place.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unhappy

You seem to have the same luck as me, lousy.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like it's shooting good.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Spike

I hope mine will shoot that good.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like your moving forward now. Good shooting!