Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
BH209 ignition problem? >

BH209 ignition problem?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 ignition problem?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Spike

Default BH209 ignition problem?

Since these 50+ eyes are not what they used to be I decided to mount a scope on my CVA Hunterbolt for this hunting season.

I also decided to try BH209 also since I have read so many great reviews of it.

At the range every shot was a hang fire or required 2 to 3 primers to get the load to go off, with two loads that wouldnt go off at all, I had to pull the BP and push the load out. I was using Winchester W209 primers.

I switched to pyrodex and had no problems at all, the scope is now dialed in and the rifle is shooting excellent groups.

I did a search and found a thread that said you have to have a closed ignition system for BH209 to work consistently.

Has anyone found a way to make BH209 work in an open ignition system?

Since I bought 2 cans I dont want to think I just wasted my money.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

I think you will find that there is no way to use the powder in the open ignition type of rifle. You can always use that as an excuse to buy another muzzleloader???
Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Well I had a CVA MagBolt, and you would have to either modify that breech plug (which would only GREATLY increase blowback) .....or see if the CVA Optima plug would fit the MagHunter.

I have a buddy with an Optima, I'll see if it fits my MagBolt.

Or we could just ask MountainDevel/Frontier Gander, he's probably already tried this
Old 09-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Banned

I was thinking about doing that on my traditions but i dont think it would work. That primer would probably fly out of the breechplug hole without the little spring to hold it in. The bolt doesnt fit tight up against the primer to hold it in place.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Spike

In cold weather I have a problem with hangfire using pyrodex, but no problems with real black powder. Some fellows at the range said if you load 5 to 10 gr. BP, then your pyrodex or BH209 load minus the 5 to 10 GR. of BP over that she'll go of every time. I have never tried this myself, but it might help you. This is a duplex load, however, and you should be very careful! Some of these fellows are shooting BH209 in their sidelocks using this method. If pyrodex works well with your gun, maybe you could trade someone your BH209 for their pyrodex.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Since I bought 2 cans I dont want to think I just wasted my money.
Hey Rog, it looks like you're just going to have to acquire another gun with closed ignition so you don't lose the money you spent on Blackhorn.

DANG, the sacrifices a guy has to make in the interest of economy!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies guys.

Zane and Semi you may have a point there. I've been casting a lustful at a Truimph lately anyway.

I'll check the forum when I get back, just finished loading the truck and I'm headed up the mountain to find a nice fat buck for the freezer.

Rog
Old 09-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is one cure that will work. Buy one of the nipples the takes a large rifle primer or a 209 that is completely contained. You have to screw the top off to put an other primer in. if you wrap the threads of both the nipple and the breach plug with the right Teflon tape for the clearance of your gun [usually the white or the pink] you can also control the blow back. Lee