Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I need a scope!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default I need a scope!

Hey guys I'm looking for a scope for my new muzzleloader.. Doesn't have to be anything real special i am not being picky, 3-9x40, fixed power, its all good! I dont have any money to spare right now but i have a Nike Bauer Vapor 40x hockey stick for trade, hardly used at all. As well as lacrosse equip. I know it may sound rediculous, but you never know! Any feedback would be awesome.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I would go with either a Nikon Omega or a Leupold Ultimate Slam. Some like to skimp on optics but I don't.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

I just purchased a Burris Fulfield II for my new Savage .308. I love it. Scope itself was $199.99 at Cabelas, but Burris had a deal going for an extra $20 bucks you get a rimfire scope too, so I jumped on that. $219.99 for two Burris scopes, I didn't think it was all that bad of a deal.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Be a little careful, I have had some scopes that were good on a high powered rifle that did not stand up to the different kind of recoil that a muzzle loader produces.
I would suggest a scope that is designed for muzzle loader use. Lee
Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not one to recommend going cheap, you usually end up paying for it. However, if you are talking of selling a hockey stick I don't think expecting you to buy a $200 scope is realistic.

This first scope I ever owned, which sat on the first inline ML I ever owned, was a 3-9X40 Bushnell. Bare bones basic, I think it cost $40-$60 and wouldn't be much more than that now. I killed a lot of deer with that scope....and it's still out there now, more than ten years later, killing deer in the hands of a friend's little brother.

I will admit that my current go-to ML is topped by a Barska Tactical that cost a tad under $200, an has performed flawlessly despite admittedly cheap lenses. My old scope ($150) crapped out after 5 years of heavy use at an inopportune time financially (just bought house, had kid, and wife wasn't working).

I figured I'd replace it when it crapped out, but darned if it isn't doing fine. Search the forum for "500 yards" and you'll see how bad a cheap scope can shoot
Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I mounted a simple Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5x32mm on my Black Diamond XR with some Woods Trophy Mounts ( you can get any cheaper then that set up ). It has excellent light gathering ability, great clarity, and had not moved a bit in five years of pounding.

I was hunting a friends farm and he walked down to the blind to sit with me. He then looked through my scope and was commenting on what a great scope it was. When I told him the price, he refused to believe it. I hunted that night to the very last minute of season. Even when I could not see through the binoculars into the woods, I was still able to watch a nice buck (it was doe only) standing in the woods watching the field. Through that scope, I could have shot.

I have two other scopes on muzzleloaders and they are even less expensive. One is a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32mm. This was a $39.00 scope. I bought it because Semisane was bragging about one, and I was determined to get one and break it. Well I liked it so much I bought two more for other rifles.

I also have a Simmons Pro 2.5x20mm on a Wolverine. Again, this one was $19.00 (Natchess.com). I was sure this one would not last. I shot the Wolverine last week and it is still dead on from last year with this scope. Simmons scopes are very clear, and gather light real well.

If you want a scope that will hold for you until you can save lots of money for a big dollar scope, and then when you can affford it wonder why you need it, you might look into these mentioned.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Get yourself a ProDiamond here. http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...TOKEN=64810432

It will do everything that needs to be done for muzzleloader hunting. You may want to upgrade it one day - but probably not.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, i've been away from Hockey for so long.
When i was playing it was Bauer and CCM only. Blades, sticks, helmets, pads etc

Did NIKE buy Bauer?

When i played Lacrosse (grew up on Long Island) it was all STX and Brine. Has that changed too?

As far as a scope. A Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 can be had for $129. Very nice scope
I also have a cheap Bushnell 3-9-32 on my muzzy. I believe i got this for less than $50 at wallyworld. It has held up for a few seasons now.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

look into the Nikon Buckmaster scope in 3-9x40
Old 09-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DannyD
Man, i've been away from Hockey for so long.
When i was playing it was Bauer and CCM only. Blades, sticks, helmets, pads etc

Did NIKE buy Bauer?

When i played Lacrosse (grew up on Long Island) it was all STX and Brine. Has that changed too?

As far as a scope. A Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 can be had for $129. Very nice scope
I also have a cheap Bushnell 3-9-32 on my muzzy. I believe i got this for less than $50 at wallyworld. It has held up for a few seasons now.

Nike and bauer teamed up and yeah those brands are still big as well. Stx and brine are still big frontrunners but warrior has made a big nae as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.