Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
pached round balls in Knight vision? >

pached round balls in Knight vision?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

pached round balls in Knight vision?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Spike

Default pached round balls in Knight vision?

I have a Knight Vision 50 cal. Can I shoot Hornady round balls (.490 dia) with lubed patches(.018)?
If It works, will I have to worry about leading the bore? It seems like it would be a TIGHT fit.
I just thought this would be a inexpensive load to punch paper and hunt with under 75 yards. 100 chunks o lead cost 12.00 and 100 precut lubed patches cost 8.00 .
Old 09-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

With a patched ball the lead never touches the barrel, no leading, I have shot PRB for over 50 years and never leaded the barrels.
If you have a 1-28 twist you have to load it down, usually between 45 and 55 gr to get decent accuracy, this will work fine for small game and paper, I would not use it on a deer.
I have a 1-38 twist that shoots PRB quite well with 90 gr P and the 1-48 twists are almost as good as a regular PRB twist[1-60 to 1-80].
Old 09-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

For a target load with a round ball I would start with a 30 gr charge of 3-f GOEX. That should give you an accurate short range load.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot round balls out of a 1/28 all the time but not with something I would consider shooting deer with. 30g of BH with a RB is my squirrel load. Works just dandy.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Xtp's would be the same price and easier. Pick up some sabots people are tossing away.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot patched roundball out of a Knight Wolverine. And I started playing with the roundball for basically the same reasons you mention. I used 30 - 50 grains of 2f black powder and the accuracy will amaze you. As for if it would work for deer.. if you were close enough... Placed your shot... I see no reason why not. I have a book by Don Davis, Muzzleloading - the begining... who was a real flintlock shooter affectionado. He discussed a favorite deer load was 50 grains of powder and a patched roundball. He never really mentioned distances. But his theory was, the ball stayed inside the animal and all the energy was released inside the animal. He might have been a good tracker too. I would think it would kill them because you put a 1/2 inch hole through major organs.. things start to die.

I personally, with only 50 grains, would not take a shot over 50 yards. When I go and use round ball I like to get them to at least 65-70 grains at the least. A friend of mine hunts deer with 70 grains and a patched roundball and he shot all the way through a doe at 45 yards with that load. He let his mother hunt with his Kentucky long rifle and loaded 35 grains of powder and told her to take her shot at 25 yards. She never shot anything, but it would have been interesting.

I should see if that new Wolverine with the light weight stock shoots them round balls? Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try the ball and patch you mentioned with loads from 40 to 90 grains and see what happens. This will give you an idea at what level the accuracy falls apart. Then try the same thing with either a thicker patch (.020 or .022) or a .495 ball with the .018 patch and see if you can push it with more powder. Go as tight as you can and still push it down.

I have shot PRB in my 1:28 gun using a .490 and a .022 patch and had decent accuracy up to around 80 or 90 grains of 777 2F so I know it can be done. The load was very tight and I had to swab between shots but it was printing under 2" at 50 yards. I need to try that load out again and this time chono it to see how fast its moving.

Good luck and post your results.