Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Can't get BP, best sub for sidelock? >

Can't get BP, best sub for sidelock?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Can't get BP, best sub for sidelock?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can't get BP, best sub for sidelock?

Hi all,

Decided to get the T/C White Mountain Carbine out of retirement as a rifle for my wife to hunt with. I always shot Goex 2F black powder out of the T/C because it always gave good accuracy, lit reliably in cold weather with a #11 cap, and wasn't really any more of a mess than Pyrodex or T7. I went to Scheel's today to buy more bullets and primers for the Savage, and was going to get a can of Goex, but it turns out that they don't carry real BP anymore. I called around and no one in my area does.

So I need a recommendation for what powder to try. I've heard Blackhorn is hard to light like smokeless, so that's out with a sidelock, and I won't use T7 because I tried it once and the crudring in the T/C was exceptionally bad to the point that I had to submerge the barrel in near boiling water to get the stuck ramrod out. I'm probably going to go with Pyrodex, but not sure about RS or P, but wanted to get you guy's input before I buy a can of anything.

My usual load with this rifle was a 410 grain Hornady Great Plains FP conical with 80 grains of Goex 2F BP.

Since the 410 gr FP is no longer available, so I'm going with the 385 gr HP with 70-80 grains of powder. I don't need a smoking hot load for my wife, and I've found that more than 90 grains of BP doesn't burn in the short carbine barrel. Shots would be 75 yards tops.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

I would think 70g of Pyro-P should get her done, with moderate recoil. Should be good to 100 yards
Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer 3F powder (ie pyro P) when shooting conicals with #11 caps. Should work real well with 70-80 grains.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found 777 not to put much if any of a crud ring in my sidelock, I think it has to do with the cooler (11 cap) ignition.

The problem I did have was hang-fires under around 30F and no-fires below 15F. The caps were just not hot enough for it, though I'm sure musket caps would work fine.

I'd just use pyrodex, I always used ffG (RS) but I don't think it matters much.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Pyrodex RS, P or Triple Seven should work just fine. They will do fine. The fine grade powders tend to leave less fouling, but I hardly notice the difference to be honest. In that short barrel, things should work better with a 3f if you can find it.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

driftrider

I do prefer T7-3f in a sidelock. I feel that it is a bunch cleaner and a lot less corrosive than the Pyro's.

I prefer the 3f, it will easily tap out under the nippleamd since we are hunting really low temperatures and it will light with a number 11 mag cap.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well BH209 is not suitable, I had crud ring and ignition problems with T7, I would use either Pyrodex P, RS or Black Mag XP. Lee
Old 09-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned

Pyrodex RS or P will do just fine. I actually like to use either a knight red hot #11 nipple or a stainless steel spitfire hollow base nipple.

If you CAN find goex or the real stuff locally, i'd suggest you get a can of 4f and while hunting, pull out your nipple, and just do a fine sprinkle of 4f right on top of the Pyrodex. Just gives it a little boost in cold weather. A little extra insurace is always good.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.powderinc.com/ HAZMAT sucks but you can order as little as 5 pounds.

https://www.grafs.com/powders/3522 might be cheaper depending upon which powder you choose.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used only Pyrodex RS in my 54 cal Renegade. Never a problem related to cold. I'm sure the Pyrodex P will work in your gun. I've always been able to load several shots without being bothered by fouling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.