Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TK2000 12ga Shotgun >

TK2000 12ga Shotgun

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TK2000 12ga Shotgun

Old 09-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Spike

Default TK2000 12ga Shotgun

Well I saw a member had one for sale and wanted one in camo, his is black, but I think I can live with it. So we are working out the details to get it.

Ever since I moved back to the lower 48 I just have not had much interest in hunting deer or turkey here. Just been sticking to long range field shooting on varmints and upland bird hunting. But ever since I got my Vision I have been pumped about the upcoming deer season here in a couple of weeks.

Which has lead to wanting to Turkey hunt with a ML and the Knight TK2000 from all I read seems like a winner for this type hunting.

If anyone has used it for turkeys what loads have worked best for you and out to what ranges. His is a #11 but I see the 209 conversions out there.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

That #11 cap works just fine. If you really want to thump one..

100 grains of Pyrodex RS, then load a 3-1/4 hard plastic shot cup, and equal shot cup of #5 & #6 shot mix, then a plastic foam over the shot card. I hunt with this. It will take one at 40 yards for you. I have a red dot on mine, and I just put the circle with the dot on his head and pull the trigger. This shotgun does have some recoil to it...

There are others that shoot the same gun and I am sure they will share their load. I want to pull the red dot and grouse hunt this year with it. But instead of the 3-1/4 cup go down to a 2-3/4 cup.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Dang I've been off this site close to 6 months now. I should be shot. Too busy with work and catfishing on saturdays. Here is a post that has some loads and my recommendations. The TK2000 is the best blackpowder 12 guage you can get. I have taken a bird at 62 yards with this gun. If you don't like yours I'll buy it from you. I think some of the loads I shared with Cayugad a while back have his honed in ready for birds.

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...-5-3-09-a.html

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...44-tk2000.html
Old 09-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Gotbuck I used your load and it turned my shotgun around. I bought the wads and shot cups your recommended and I can roll a olive can at 40 yards all day long with that thing. That is if my shoulder holds out...
Old 09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Spike

Well the deal is done.........Just waiting for it to arrive now.

I plan on using the suggested loads except I want to use T7 fffg since I have a pound of it to shoot up and do not intend on using it in my Knight Vision.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Dominant Buck

you then might want to cut the load back a little. 100 grains of powder like Pyrodex or black powder, is brutal at times. 3f black powder might really give you a jot. But time will tell.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default First Shoot Update

Well I got it and put it together. Not too bad at all to assemble, really straight forward.

Well I used T7 FFG to test it out. One thing I absolutely hate is getting the cap on the nipple, almost no way it could be done realistically with winter gloves or very cold hands. My big hands had trouble tonight doing. I will have to fix that......I am going to get a 209 conversion for it and that should help. I imagine a capper would go far also.

I dry fired a cap to get the striker adjusted but there again was no big deal. I loaded 90gr of FFG in it. Really not sure yet as if I need a piece of wool between the powder and wad yet so I did not use one. I put the wad in and followed it with an equal amount of 2.5oz of #6 shot. Put the styrofoam seal over it and fired it.

Kicked like a mule..........did this 5 times. Shoulder sore. Not overly impressed with the pattern results at 40yds.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if that #11 cap setup is like on the inline rifles but it's a PITA on what I've seen. However, they make capers for it where you load the caps into it then use that to put them on. It's a great purchase. I wouldn't want to use #11 caps without it.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

You will love your new shotgun, I have used one every spring since they came out.
I shoot 90gr of t7-ffg , with equal amounts of #4's and #7 1/2's in a 3 1/4 shot cup. I have a very killable pattern at 40 yards but have not had to shoot that far.
Good Luck with your new killin machine.