Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
loading up with plastic >

loading up with plastic

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

loading up with plastic

Old 09-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Spike

Default loading up with plastic

Hi Guys, Been awhile since i was here. Have a question. I shoot a Knight Disc Elite and I was wondering if any of you who shoot Knight Rifles can give me some idea how many shots you shoot before your groups open up or are effected in any way due to plastic fouling from the sabots. I have finally found a 200 yd combo and i want to shoot some more for fun but am afraid to because hunting season is so close. Please help an old man who cant retire but shoots and hunts every chance he gets.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Spike

What load did you settle on?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I have put a lot of rounds through my Kngihts and never noticed any plastic from the sabots. If you suspect any plastic fouling, take a nylon brush and some solvent and just scrub the bore. Then a solvent patch or two. And that should take care of any problem.

The new sabots are no where near as the old ones were. I think your safe to shoot, have fun, and still hunt with the rifle.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

dead on

With the new polymere formulation they are using - really do not see much plastic fouling anymore, unless you are using extremely hot loads.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use those hot loads Sabot loader was talking about and burn a case to a case and a half of powder every year, never had any problem with plastic build up. Lee
Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

CVA and Knight barrels are very smooth. Some TC barrels are very rough and they pick up plastic. Both my Encore and my Black Diamond came with rough barrels. they were OK after a couple sessions with patches and jeweler's rouge on a tight patch.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always thought plastic fouling to be a bit of an urban legend. I've been shooting sabots since about 1994 and never seen it. Perhaps in some guns, but I don't think it's common.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always use a nylon bore brush sprayed with Hoppes #9 after I shoot my ML. Even if it's just one or two shots. It's part of my cleaning process.