Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Finally Shot my Accura! >

Finally Shot my Accura!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally Shot my Accura!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Finally Shot my Accura!

Made it to the range last night to do some playing around with the accura. Never shot muzzleloader before was a little intimidated at first.

Set up on the 50yrd target and played around. Gun was shooting very very high and needed alot of scope adjustment. (pulled the scope off my slug gun so it probaly was off a mile since I never zeroed it)

Finally after 4 shots was getting close.

100gr of Pyrodex loose powder and 300gr Hornady XTP mag in their standard sabot (got them cheap). Thing literally was touching holes at 50yrds. I got it close and was happy with the progress. These things are a blast to shoot!

Started to get dark and only was able to take 1 shot out at 100yrds. Still shooting a little right, but centered and very very accurate. Should I have upped the charge to 150gr?

BH209 is on sale at Cabelas right now for $29.99. I just ordered 3 jugs. Figure that will take care of me for awhile.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Im shooting 150g tripple seven pellets with a 250g Barnes T-EZ, Tripple seven 209 preimer out of my CVA ACCURA. It shoots pretty good out of a clean gun. I was at the range yesterday and my first four shots had a 3" group @100 yds.....Note swabbing in between shots..The next two shots were about 5" too the left rite next too each other...so it wasnt me it was the gun/charge? If I was you stick too the 100g charge but could also try the 150g..Im also new too ML so theres alot of good advice/members on this forum that have great knowledge....check out the Help Traditions Pursuit Extreme post IA

1st pic 4 shot group at 100 yds bench rest swabbing inbetween shots. 2nd pic 5th and 6th shot.
Attached Thumbnails Finally Shot my Accura!-dsc01568.jpg   Finally Shot my Accura!-dsc01567.jpg  

Last edited by IOWAWHITETAILS; 09-02-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have found that 150 gr can be erratic in some guns and that it is rarely the most accurate load, I see a velocity drop after about 135 gr unless I use an extremely tight bullet and sabot combination[this often means you are not burning all the powder cleanly ] even then the accuracy is not so good. The best answer is to start at 100 gr and go up 10 gr at a time shooting groups; you will usually see a pattern of the groups going down then getting larger again. Once you find the point where you can see that then try different bullets and sabots in that size range. Lee