Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
where the heck does it go? >

where the heck does it go?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

where the heck does it go?

Old 08-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default where the heck does it go?

I've been trying the Blackhorn 209 with CCI primers in my Encore and having problems. Two misfires and several hangfires. Blowback several times too. (I hope the terms I'm using are correct.)
Been doing lots of reading in different forums and maybe have my problem figured out. BUT FIRST??? Where does the pretty stuff in the end of a 209 primer go? Might be red or yellow. I have been using CCI's but have some of those 209's for muzzleloaders too. Does it just burn up? Oh, well...........
My solution to my problem might be--- My breech plug was very dirty and I didn't realize it. Didn't see much daylight through the the hole. Saw somewhere to use a drill bit to clean it up. So I GENTLY turned a bit in the hole. My goodness, the crude that I scraped out of there was ugly and lots of it. Now I can see daylight through the hole. I bet the rifle shoots better now. I sure hope so!
Old 08-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

you found the problem yourself ..a dirty breech-plug will give u blowback and miss fires
Old 08-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

After you clean your plug, shoot Federal 209A primers with BH209.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
After you clean your plug, shoot Federal 209A primers with BH209.
Are they that much cleaner than the CCI 209Ms? I've used both the CCIs and the Rem STS primers with no discernible difference.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Federals are a bit hotter the STS some times group just a bit tighter the Win 209 is just a bit bigger and seals a bit better and the CCI209m is just a bit dirtier so is the Win 209. The dirty Breach Plug will cause misfires and blowback and the special muzzle loader 209's will cause misfires and have a small potential for a worse problem. Lee
Old 08-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
Are they that much cleaner than the CCI 209Ms? I've used both the CCIs and the Rem STS primers with no discernible difference.
Not cleaner just hotter. BH209 needs the hottest primer in my opinion for reliable ignition.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like it was just way too dirty. I haven't had any issues with CCI primers. Or Rem STS, Fed, or Winchester. Just stay away from the "Muzzleloader" primers. Some people have gotten away with using them but they aren't recommended by Blackhorn.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

cci 209m work great for me.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

and the special muzzle loader 209's will cause misfires and have a small potential for a worse problem.

lemoyne, what worse problems do you mean? i have some left over from shooting 777 last year, the 777 left that crud ring so i went back to pyrodex. i have shot them with the pyrodex ok, what do i need to worry about?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

my pro hunter shot BH209 great.. best groups ever with 115 grains! My problem was a hangfire 3 days into the hunt. I keep all my parts spotless on my encore. Clean the breech like its gonna melt LOL. I went back to T7 after that.. BH209 grouped about 1inch better and I miss using the stuff. I just dont want to get a hangfire again. I had no issues what so ever testing out of 30 shots.. but the one day of the hunt I decided to takema buck it hangfired and the sabot went maybe 10 yards and thumped to the ground..