Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Loaded ML on Multi day hunts >

Loaded ML on Multi day hunts

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loaded ML on Multi day hunts

Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive heard the pellets are notorious for absorbing moisture, that might have had something to do with it. I have an accura myself and havent had any problems with hang fires. I use loose T7 ffg and T7 primers.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I recommend using a finger cot over the end of the barrel and checking that the bullet and sabot are down on the load with full pressure every morning. This is what I do and I leave mine loaded for a week at a time and have never had a problem. Lee
Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Spike

I don't shoot my ML all I do is put a small balloon over the end of the barrel and leave it in the locked up in my truck. If you have to bring your gun into your home or lodge the gun will sweat and thats when your powder will get condensation and we know what will happen. I have never had any trouble.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Spike

Default IMR's White Hots

Well I went to the range today, Wind was coming from the back of me at about 5mph I was loading with 2 pellets and 350 FPB flextip projectile. I shot 15 rounds, The first 5 was at 25 yards and 2nd was at 50 yds. and last 5 was at 100yds. the 25yds was my trightest group 1 inch and my 100 yd was 1.5 inch group. I did not clean my muzzzzeloader betwen shots . When I did get to clean it at home liker the add said was very easy soap and water and then lite oil.[/SIZE]
Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 AM
mountaineer magic

I know you don't have to but I clean my Muzzle loader at the end of each day even if it was not fired. Just my preference. I never let it set overnight loaded.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Spike

I do the slow warm up with all guns. Prevents the moisture and rust in those tight spots.

Deer blind to the truck.
truck to the breeze way
breeze way to the truck to start the whole new day.

its just me no kids or wife and the breeze way has a bath room and I put in there and shut the door.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

There have been a few time i have opened my gun case when i got home to find my gun covered with condensation . But that was when i took it from the back of my pick up (10 deg or less ) into my home at 70 deg so i knew that was going to happen .Maybe i could have left in the garage all night and been good to go ??? But i just go ahead dry it off , empty it and clean i t and oil it , let it try out all night remove the oil from the inside of the barrel then reload in the morning . In the morning I put it back in bed my truck in a dry warm case and let it cool down slowly as i drive back up the mountains so nothing fogs up on me when i take it out .

Last edited by UtahRob; 08-27-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Banned

The only time i shoot off a load is if my rifle got soaked in rain or i dropped it into a water. + if i havent fired it during my 9 day hunt. So basically, i leave it loaded until i see game.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with the barrel clean and free of oil. No fouling in the bore, and no caps or primers fired. I leave the gun loaded until I shoot it, unless I hunt in the rain.

If I shoot the gun and reload to begin tracking or to continue hunting, I always clear that load before the next day's hunt. Even if it's not raining, that fouling will absorb moisture from the air, which cannot help anything.

I generally don't fire the gun to clear it. I'll either pull the bullet in a sidelock, or push it through in an in-line. I can re-use my FPBs that have been pushed through.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

I also hunt in Michigan winters. If I can leave the gun in a cold, safe place where no condensation will form, then I just pull the primer. If the gun has to come inside to warm tempratures (house, cabin, etc...) then I will remove the breech plug, pull the load and clean / wipe down the gun.

One area I due have to drive a ways to the hunting spot. I will clean and dry the gun the previous night inside. Then reload the gun (minus the primer) and leave it in the case in the house. Gun leaves with me in the morning.

I learned this the hard way a couple years ago when I took at aim a late season doe. It was very cold and I had brought the gun in with me after the morning hunt. Never hunted ML before, so it did not cross my mind. Heard a "click" and had fireworks come out of the end of my barrel. It only takes a couple minutes to complete a reload, so I would rather have the confidence of knowing the gun will preform.