Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sudden loss of accuracy >

Sudden loss of accuracy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sudden loss of accuracy

Old 08-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sudden loss of accuracy

In my 58cal I am used to shooting 120gr FFG Black Powder, .570 roundball with .015 mink oil lubed patch and a dry wad.

This load has always shot well for me but the last few times I went out I could not get this load to shoot as accurate as it used to. I did not change a single thing about this load. Any ideas what happened?
Old 08-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you use a ramrod with out a bore protector bushing you may have worn the end of the barrel out of round. We used to see a lot of this back when we all shot PRB. I suspect some people have the same problem with Sabot guns. Also inspect the button a scratch on the button will also cause that problem. Certain kinds of oils [bore butter for one] have wax in them and it can cause a problem if it builds up but since it is clear it is very had to see. If you suspect this is your problem scrub your bore with boiling water and a stiff bronze bore brush and Dawn detergent. Lee
Old 08-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sharp Shooter

Think Lee covered most of the bases - those are the things I would investigate first - especially the cleaning suggestion.

As an added thought you might run some Barnes CR-10 or any other good quality lead remover in the bore and let it sit for an hour and see what your patches look like. You may have collected some lead over time, even though it is suppose to be riding a patch.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think the patch is burnt before exiting the barrel????
Old 08-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm fairly new at muzzleloading but, any thought to if your powder went bad??
Old 08-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd also look at the patches, you are asking a lot out of a .015 patch with 120 grs of powder behind it...What do they look like???

Also...Are these store bought pre lubed patches??? They can go bad...

My .54 did this a few years back...The fix was to buy pillow ticking in bulk and lube when I was going to use it...

I've also see guns start this because of damage to the rifling at the end of the muzzle and actually cutting the patch at loading, then burning a hole...I've fixed a few by filing the rifling and correcting...
Old 08-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Things I would check is first off the patches. Find some of the spent patches. Examine them for tears, burn marks, etc. Although normally with a wad, patches do not burn. Also, do you pre lube and then leave the patch lubed? Sometimes pre lubed patchs will go bad. Its a combination of the lube and the patch threads. Try some new patches that have not been lubed.

Also if the temperature is very different from when you normally shoot, this could be a factor. If it is hotter, try cutting the load down to about 105 grains of powder. Sometimes too much powder on a hot day can create a lot of gas behind the ball. Reduce the charge and lower the gas volume.

Also when is the last time you really cleaned that barrel? I had a Renegade .54 that did the same thing. While I thought the barrel was clean, I boiled it out, then brushed it, and then alcohol patched it. The accuracy then returned.

Just some of my thoughts.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sisfire is right about the powder if you are using ascorbic acid base powder they can collect moisture and become very erratic I had it happened to me.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

Sharpshooter is young - but old style shooter - he really is into the traditional shooting - I bet he is using real BP but I do not know which one.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Seems like everybody pretty much covered everything. One other thing you might check (and you probably already have), is the sight screws. I had a TC blackdiamond years ago thet wood shake every screw in the gun loose within ten shots, no matter how tight you got them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.