Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use? >

When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question When does your ML season start and what do you plan to use?

Here in GZ6 of South Carolina, our General Gun season started last Saturday (Private Land). We can use whatever we want to harvest deer until January 1st. I know other states aren't as fortunate and most have specific seasons for archery, ML, and General Gun. So when are you gentlemen able to get out to the woods with your muzzleloaders? And which one do you plan on using once the season kicks off?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I don't get one with the bow Antelope opens Sept 20th for ML. Following that Deer opens Oct 1st.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

sw

My hunting in Idaho does not start until Oct 10. That is the beginning of the General Rifle season. I will be starting the season hunting whitetail with a Knight Disc Extreme, a 200 grain Lehigh, and T7.

My next season... is a ML elk season December 2-9 and and extra deer season from December 2 - 14. In those two ML seasons I will be using a TC Renegade with a GM-LRH barrel. I will be shooting a 460 grain Bull Shop conical and again T7. In Idaho during a ML season, we can not use optics, 209 ignition, sabots, or pellet powder - hence -> the Renegade.

I will finish the year with a Triumph and a late season whitetail hunt December 14 - 31, again shooting either the 200 grain Lehigh or the 250 grain Lehigh.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

This year I will be hunting 3 states Lord willing.

Squirrel season starts next weekend and I'll be takin' the ol smokepole out for them. 30g BH. veggie wad, .15 patch and round ball out of a Genesis.

Then comes fall turkey season in Oct. where I'll be using 200g XTPs over 80g of BH or 777 depending on if it's out of a Genesis or 700ML.

Also in Oct we have Bear season in TN. Using 460g Bullshop, veggie wad and 80g 777 out of my 700ML

Nov has both ML and Rifle seasons in VA. For the ML season I'll use a Hawken w/85g of 777 and a .15 patched round ball. For Rifle I'll use 200g XTPs this year (change from previous years of 300g-ers) in front of 110g 777 out of my 700ML.

Late Nov I'll be in MS huntin' hog w/.430 300g XTPs over 80g BH out of my Genesis.

Dec can be a combo of any of the previous. Dec is kind of my 'do whatever I please' month...
Old 08-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default West Virginia

West Virginia has a new MZ season this year that is at the end of Sept. for a week. However I doubt if I hunt it. It is doe only, and that is disappointing to me. I do not care to take a doe early in the year when it is hot and I can not let it hang for awhile. So I will wait for the December season. Tom.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Nebraska has a cool change for this year!!!

Special EARLY 3-day any weapon season for Oct 9 - 11, 2009

October Antlerless ***NEW IN 2009*** Open to those with SCA 18 or 21 permits Archery, Muzzleloader, centerfire and crossbow is legal.

I LOVE Nebraska

Plus regular rifle=Muzzleloaders allowed Nov 14th-22

Regular Muzzleloader 01-31Dec

Late Rifle/Muzzleloader 01-15Jan

I will use the 45cal Disc Elite and 200g Lehigh's and 130g BH209,
200g SST's and 130g BH209,
And 300g Platinum Pbelts with 60g BH209

Last edited by LaneNebraska; 08-19-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
sw

My hunting in Idaho does not start until Oct 10. That is the beginning of the General Rifle season. I will be starting the season hunting whitetail with a Knight Disc Extreme, a 200 grain Lehigh, and T7.

My next season... is a ML elk season December 2-9 and and extra deer season from December 2 - 14. In those two ML seasons I will be using a TC Renegade with a GM-LRH barrel. I will be shooting a 460 grain Bull Shop conical and again T7. In Idaho during a ML season, we can not use optics, 209 ignition, sabots, or pellet powder - hence -> the Renegade.

I will finish the year with a Triumph and a late season whitetail hunt December 14 - 31, again shooting either the 200 grain Lehigh or the 250 grain Lehigh.
Are you participating in the new Wolf season this year? I heard about that on the news.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

sw

The wolf problem here in Northern Idaho is far greater than the state will tell you. They have been really tough on the Clearwater Elk herds, and two weeks ago they took a beef cow down on the open range a few miles from here and that is not the first one but one the state finally recognized as a wolf kill.

Hunting them on the other hand I doubt I will set out with a goal of shooting a wolf. Our area up here in the north is really timbered and rolly-polly, if not straight up and down getting a shot a wolf without bating might be pretty rare. Where they might end up disappearing a few of them anyway is when a farmer or rancher gets his opportunity.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Banned

Unit 84 - San Isabel Ntl. Forest - Sept 12-20th

Buck Tag - Cabelas .50cal Sporterized Hawen - 110gr RS with 247gr Colorado Thor

Cow Elk tag - CVA Mountain Stalker, 90gr RS, 362gr Custom Tip Powerbelt

Bear Tag - CVA Accura, 100gr RS, 247gr Colorado Thor

---------------------------

Raton, New Mexico - Sept 24-28th

Buck Tag - CVA Accura, 110gr RS, 250gr Ballistic Tip Thor.

I get a nice 1 to 2 days rest after my Colorado season until i have to pack up again and head up to NM for my brother in laws hunt. This guy is something else let me tell you! I showed him the bullet we're going to be using and right away, I dont like ballistic tips! I never had any luck with them in my rifle ( Centerfire) He's going to learn something about muzzleloaders this year.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
sw

The wolf problem here in Northern Idaho is far greater than the state will tell you. They have been really tough on the Clearwater Elk herds, and two weeks ago they took a beef cow down on the open range a few miles from here and that is not the first one but one the state finally recognized as a wolf kill.

Hunting them on the other hand I doubt I will set out with a goal of shooting a wolf. Our area up here in the north is really timbered and rolly-polly, if not straight up and down getting a shot a wolf without bating might be pretty rare. Where they might end up disappearing a few of them anyway is when a farmer or rancher gets his opportunity.
I hear ya. Was just wondering. I heard Montana is opening a season also. A lot of the anti's don't realize it but this is what happens when they ban hunting for a certain animal. The same thing happened in New Jersey with bears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.