Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cleaning between shots >

Cleaning between shots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning between shots

Old 08-18-2009, 04:48 AM

Default Cleaning between shots

Is it necessary to clean between each shot or only when you start having a really hard time getting the bullet down the barrel? If you don't clean between each shot, does it affect accuracy much? I shoot with FFG Goex black powder and conicals.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always sight in with a clean, lubed barrel...With inlines I find it necessary to clean between each shot...

My flintlocks are more forgiving...I clean when shooting in competition...If hunting, the first shot is with a .018 patch and the 2nd is with a .015 patch which makes loading the second shot easier...
Old 08-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of the gun or projectile type I always run a spit patch through between shots.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use BH209 so swabbing between shots isn't necessary. But when I'm dialing in a hunting load I do it. I pull the gun out of the case, run a dry patch to get any extra oil that might still be in the bore. Then I run an acohol patch, then another dry one. Then I pop a fouling primer. Load up and ready to hunt. When working up a hunting load, I clean the bore completely out just like I would when I get home after a day of shooting. Then I perform the above steps before loading. I do that in between each shot until I get dialed in. Then I shoot for fun and forget about cleaning.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I swab between each shot. I also hunt on a clean bore. That's the best way to insure your first shot of the day will hit where you want it. I shoot 99% pure lead from my rifles. Good lead is getting too hard to find, and too expensive for me to waste any. (I cast my own)
Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're shooting Goex black powder with conicals, you're probably going to want to swab after every shot for consistant accuracy, and just for ease of loading. Nothing worse that getting a conical halfway down the barrel and having it get stuck cause of fouling. Then you can either pull it or really work to pound it down (hope you have a good range rod). Spit patching takes just a couple minutes, and is worth the effort.

Another reason I love my Savage...

Mike