Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I formed a really bad problem >

I formed a really bad problem

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I formed a really bad problem

Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Spike

Default I formed a really bad problem

Hey everyone. I have formed a really bad problem. In archery it's known as target panic so I'm not sure if that is what its called in the gun world.

Here is whats going on. When I get my rifle settled on my bench, I get my cheek rested against the stock and close my left eye. Once I am on the target I pulll the hammer and as soon as I get it the hammer ready to fire I'm pulling the trigger. If I move off target while I'm pulling the hammer I'm still pulling the trigger without getting back on my mark. It's like I'm rushing the shot without my crosshairs being on target and I cannot tell my brain not to pull the trigger. Anyone have any suggestions to cure this? It still comes back from time to time when I'm shooting my bow but it is terrible with my ML. If don't load it or I just look through my scope I can hold my crosshairs on my mark all day, but once I am ready to fire I might as well forget about it.

Last edited by flybub; 08-17-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

When I taught my son to shoot. I used a single shot .22 and loaded it for him. Sometimes a round was in it, sometimes not. It kept him from flinching and pulling the trigger. He learned nice control that way. Have somebody load your ML for you. It may go click, it may go pop, or it may go boom. That may help. Also, squeeze at the end of your exhale. Dont hold your breath, just exhale and during that natural pause, squeeze the trigger. If its not on the mark during your pause, wait till the next natural exhale. Trigger time is the best teacher.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try keeping your finger straight and off the trigger when you're ****ing the hammer. Then get your POA back before you allow your finger to enter the trigger guard. You shouldn't have your finger on the trigger until you're ready to fire anyway.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

I had target panic for 30 years with a bow and fought it over and over and i have started into archery and given up 4 times . Love traditional archery but just can't do it anymore . It did carry over in guns but what helped me was shooting something small with no kick . I have a .17 hmr and a 22 pistol MKIII hunter that i put over 4000 rounds through in the last few months . Now i can do the same with my encore !! I would shoot a 22 and get it down then shoot you encore ''and think positive ''.shooting something with NO kick will help , it did for me . Good luck .

Last edited by UtahRob; 08-17-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help so far. I have thought about just putting a primer in and firing a couple times to see what happens, I just wanna see if I can get on my mark. Anyone else?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think keeping your finger out of the trigger guard while ****ing the rifle might be your best (and safest) route.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Spike

I was taught by the breathing and exhale. Whatever you do keep doing it. I still to this day pratice that method and works well.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always talk myself through a shot, controll breathing, squeeze the trigger, dont flinch,that sort of stuff. It has always worked for me in the past. Most of my triggers are set about 2lbs so I dont touch the trigger until i am ready to fire.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have double set triggers so the process changes a bit. 1: pull hammer. 2:sort of aim amd pull set trigger 3:fine tune aim check breathing and heartbeat 4:at the end of an exhale and between heartbeats touch the front trigger & kaboom.
It might help to keep you finger away from the trigger, pull the hammer back, then aim & shoot. Moving the process around might help get you past this hurdle.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Wink

Does this happen when you are also shooting an air gun or a 22 rifle? I'm guessing not near as bad.

What we call that in the trap shootin game is the common flinch. One of the main reasons that a person gets into flinchin is he or she is subconsciously antisapating the bang or hit on the shoulder or cheek. You simply raise your head or blink or close your eye at the pull of the trigger. My guess is all the above. A lot of times this is created by shooting to heavy of a load.

The only suggestion I know to offer is go to the lightest load you can, make yourself stay into the gun an keep your eye open till you see the target hit. If necessary, start by mastering this with a 22.

A lighter trigger pull will also make a huge difference. You may even want to consider trading into a double trigger ML.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.