Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
cleaning between shots >

cleaning between shots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning between shots

Old 08-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Spike

Default cleaning between shots

Hey guys what is the best product for cleaning/ swabing between shots at the range without having to take the breech plug out and using a brush
Old 08-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends what kind of powder you are shooting. Some guys use a simple spit patch - I tried it and found that I didn't like it. I use a 50/50 mix of Windex and rubbing alcohol - usually 1 wet patch followed by 1 dry patch. I use 777 powder which is water soluble and cleans up well with this mix. I've never used Pyrodex or Goex, so I'm not sure if this mix would work as well with those. If you use BH209 you're not supposed to swab between shots- just clean it with Hoppes #9 or a similar bore solvent when you get home.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Spike

thanks for that I only use t7 and shocky gold
Old 08-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

I use Butches bore shine for indepth clean up. I use alcohol and window washer fluid, in a small spray bottle nose spray dispenser, at the range and in the field.. It works even when cold and evaporates fast. It works on both Shockley and T 7
Old 08-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cleaning

I have never really noticed a big difference in any of the bore cleaning products. I bought a bunch of Butch's once for a good price, so I just use that. However I would never use a brush in my barrels. I simply use a jag and properly sized patches. IMO the jag does a better job, but even if it didn't I would not put a brush in the bore of my rifle. Unless I wanted an abrasive in there. Tom.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

fred2012

what is the best product for cleaning/ swabing between shots at the range without having to take the breech plug out and using a brush
I use regular old windex - have been using it for years - It works great - it is the BEST for me...

Old 08-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

If your shooting Triple Seven powder, simple spit will work fine for a liquid swab material. No need for a brush really. Put a CLEAN patch (if they are dirty you will taste it) in your mouth and suck on it. When your ready to shoot take that patch from your mouth and swab the barrel with a tight fitting jag. Then a dry patch or two and your set to shoot again.

I personally run out of spit, so I use a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. I spritz a patch and swab. Then a dry one or two. I fill up an old OFF bug juice pump spray bottle. Hold that patch and spritz it. It works real good and is easy to carry in my range bag.

I have also used simple cleaners. A good one is Simple Green. That stuff is like 409 and it will take and really clean out the bore. I have used a product called Rusty Duck also. Wal Mart had a end of season sale on it for a $1.00 a jug. And they HAD 12 jugs. So now I have a lot of Rusty Duck. It really cleans fowling good in rifles.

A friend I shoot with, uses the left over water from when his wife does the dishes. He fills a old Dawn soap plastic bottle with it, and has swabbed his barrel for years with that. He claims that's why his wife has to do the dishes so often...

Almost anything will work. The main this is be consistent when you swab. Also that brush can help if your shooting a lot in a day. Lets say you have twenty rounds through the rifle. And you want to shoot more. Run that brush with some solution down the bore and back out a couple times. Turn the rifle upside down, and tap the muzzle on your shoe. It will know some of the stuff out. Then swab as normal.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use rubbing alcohol...
Old 08-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
fred2012

I use regular old windex - have been using it for years - It works great - it is the BEST for me...

I like that !!!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:37 PM

Default Bh 209

I use Bh 209 and I don't have to swab between shots or tens of shots. I used Trip 7 last muzzleloader season in Vt (Dec 2008) and had wet patches FREEZE. Couldn't reload quickly and it cost me a deer after I shot the coyote chasing it. BH209 took care of that problem!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.