Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Inspired by Dave to shoot >

Inspired by Dave to shoot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inspired by Dave to shoot

Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Inspired by Dave to shoot

Since Dave was following strict doctors orders about shooting thought I should do the same...

I have been trying to get out to shoot the 45 cal Rem for a couple of days now since I am retired again, but the rain just kept coming... - wheat farmers hate it.

Got up again this morning with the intentions of going to the farm early to shoot - but again rain... About 9:30 it seemed to clear up grabbed all mt gear and headed to the farm. I really did not have much time as we are headed to Kennewick this afternoon also - but I told Terry it would be short and quick and I would be right back.

This is the first time I have ever shot a 45 Remington 700 ml or even this Remington. I was a used gun bought off Guns America.

Got everything set up and decided to start right away with 110 grains of T7-2f, a Harvester light blue sabot and a Hornady .40/200 grain XTP...

First two shots I was less than impressed but need to remember - I am just starting. But anyway decided to switch to the MMP light tan sabot - they did seem to fit tighter. Shot a 3 shot group that was sorta OK. Adjusted the scope - moved the target to 50 yards and shot a 5 shot group with the Lehigh and MMP. That I could live with...

Moved the target to 100, as I was in hurry to get this done and get back to the house before I got in a lot of trouble on the home front. Stayed with the Lehighs and the MMP's - shot # 1 was totally my fault - tried to move the gun a bit with my finger on the trigger... Shot #2 landed where thought it should or might with the scope corrections that I had made... Shots 3 & 4 were cloverleafed but an 1 or so away from 2.

Then just for the heck of it decided I wanted to shoot @ something way out there. This portion of the wheat field had ben havested late last week so I was looking for some thing to use as a target. I had the Powder Horn set on 10 power and was looking for something to aim at. I was leaning over the rail of the bed of the pickup, I found a bare soil spot and decided that looked good. So I loaded up one more time and thought I would go after after the dirt spot. Leaned over the bed of the pickup took my shot. I aimed right on the spot with the primary cross hair and touched it off. I was on but low... Tried one more time and called it quits for the day.

Oh by the way the wind was horrible, but I was not going to let it ruin my day...

The distance of the shot lased out to 242 yards. Here a couple of pics. You can see my range finder laying on the POI and the 2 marks where the bullets hit. Think I could have done better if I had not already put the bench and bags away. I just leaned over the rail of pickup bed and took the shots. I was surprised they were in the area left and right as bad as the wind was blowing + it was blowing down on the bullets flight path.

It was fun - but I hate shooting when I am in a hurry - hope to have a better report next time...
Old 08-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like a lot of potential there Sabotloader, and some good shooting. To tell you the truth, I'm surprised the Lehighs shot better than the XTPs.

Man, you guys are getting to me. I haven't shot since mid June because of the heat. But I can't take it any more. So as soon as I post this I'm packing the Zouave and heading to the hunting lease for some plain of fun shooting with patched balls. I'll be back with you guys Sunday evening.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

That rifle and set up did real well for the first time out. I am sure it will get better and better. What's your impression of that Cabela's scope? I think that's the rifle you put that on.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Spike

nice farm. nice shooting and who says doctors know whats best?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I did put that cabelas on this gun, and to be honest with you it did not knoch my socks off, but this was a very quick shoot.

I do remember when i was on 10 power looking for something to shoot it sure was clear and sharp. I still need to try shooting in low light, when i tested it one evening just looking on the deck it really worked well, but that was not actually shooting...

Right now i would rate it 8-9 of 10, but the jury is still out...
Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader, You need to put some BH209 in there to make those Bronze Beauties Fly.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Sabotloader, You need to put some BH209 in there to make those Bronze Beauties Fly.
I have been totally converted to this powder. I shot my Knight Vision out to the 100 yd line and was very impressed. I originally set up the sights for two inches high at 50 yds. Well over at he 100 it was shooting to 1" high. Now that impressed me a lot. I only wish I had a place I could shoot it out to a longer distance to check the drop.

This stuff is great.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting sabotloader.Maybe you have to find the right powder and bullet load for that scope to hit on.Remember they call for 300 grain bullet and 150 grain of powder.Any thing less and i guess there will be alot of testing involved.Not a bad start though.I shot mine at at 100 yards and 225 so far (split the 200 and 250 marks)
need to test more also.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

hunting junkie

I am not to worried about lining the range marks with the POI of a bullet. I never use the lines as the scope says they might be used - that is kinda worthless. I find the load and bullet that iwant to use then match the range marks to what they bullet does. Kinda senseless the other way or the way scope might suggest.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

DANG that's a beautiful place !!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.