Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New rifle, new bullets, new primers >

New rifle, new bullets, new primers

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New rifle, new bullets, new primers

Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default New rifle, new bullets, new primers

I just can't help myself when it comes to something that looks like a deal, so I bought one of these Pedersoli Denalis. Finally got out to shot it today. After scrubbing the bore with some Cowboy solvent I thought that it seemed like a tight bore, haven't meassures it yet. I bought some 265 gr. ftx bullets which are .429 and even with the crushed rib sabbot it was tight. So I went to the Parker ballistic bullets which measure .450 and tried them with CR sabots and they loaded about average or just a little snug.

Shooting at 50 yds with open sights and 90 gr. 777 with Fiocchi primers. Still need a lot of experimenting with this 1/24 twist.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Dominant Buck

not too bad at all for a first time out. With that twist, you ever think of shooting conicals?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Savage is a 1:24" twist, and it shoots best with 300 grain 45 cal bullets. The 1:24" twist will stabilize the long bullet just fine, and accuracy with my Savage at least is very good. I'm very fond of the Barnes 300 grain Expander MZ with the MMP sabots shoot great and perform excellently on deer.

Mike
Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Overall, how do you like the Denali? Fit, finish, weight, action, etc.?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM
mountaineer magic

I have a couple of 1:24 twist guns and they shoot 460 gr conicals or barnes 290gr tmz saboted bullets very well. For mine, the longer the bullet the better. You might try one of those 2 bullets with a 110 gr 777 . Every gun is different but that setup works for me.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Overall, how do you like the Denali? Fit, finish, weight, action, etc.?
The fit and finish is really good I think. the barrel is a mat finish and the stock is camo over wood. I heard the camo peels off after a while, but if it does I think it would look good with just a wood finish. The trigger leaves a little bit to be desired, not very smooth and probably about 5#. It is a little stiff opening and closing but that will loosen up I think.
As far as taking apart to clean it is not too bad. Forearm off, three screws and a pin, and the barrel comes off, another screw and the extractor comes out, then the breechplug.
It is not that light, 8.59 lbs. There is a Kick-eze recoil pad on it so with that and the weight there is not much recoil.

I think I maybe will try some conicals the next time out. I have some maxi-balls that might work.

I really don't know why I bought it, I've got a couple other rifles here that I haven't shot yet. Must be that sickness

P.S. It is kinda hard to see but there is one hole in the middle of the bull. Should have stoped after three

Here is one a little cheaper than Cabelas: http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=9264761

Last edited by dphobby; 08-11-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

P.S. It is kinda hard to see but there is one hole in the middle of the bull. Should have stoped after three
I almost always shoot 5-shot groups because I thrive on heartache.