Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:56 AM
Spike

Default Scope?

I have a cva buckhorn and am wanting to put a scope on it to extend my range a little but am concerned that everytime i go to clean it that it will knock my zero off since i have to take my barrell off to clean. Any one have experience with this or will it be alright to take the barrell on and off without effecting my zero?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

wv bow hunter

a little but am concerned that everytime i go to clean it that it will knock my zero off since i have to take my barrell off to clean. Any one have experience with this or will it be alright to take the barrell on and off without effecting my zero?
Should not be a concern because your scope is mounted to the barrel. If your forearm fits the same way every time so you do not change harmonics - should all shoot just fine.

Correcting my last post as somehow I read in there that you were using a 'break-open'. All of my inlines are scoped and all of them come out of the stock for cleaning... Three of them have qucik release mounts but I do not even use the release - I am so old I still do not trust these modern inovations...

Before hunting season ialways recheck zero and the gun never comes out of the stock until after hunting season - another old habit that I can not break.

Last edited by sabotloader; 08-01-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum. The Buckhorn Magnum replaced it. With the two locking lugs, the Buckhorn is very sturdy to the stock. More so then the Staghorn. I would not be all that concerned. I personally would suggest a set of quick release rings for the scope. I currently and using some Traditions Quick Release rings and am very pleased with them. I have had my scope on and off too many times to count, and the barrel in and out of the stock for cleaning. Everything always comes back to normal.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Spike

thanks for the info guys. I shoot pretty good with the open sights but ive found that shooting at paper with open sights is alot different than shooting at a deer in the woods
Old 08-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Be sure to make a scope bikini and cover that scope. With the open breech design, the blow back will eat the paint right off some scopes. Expecially the cheaper ones. A bikini stops all that and makes wiping the scope off a breese.

I know all about open sights. I shoot a lot of open sights, but in all reality, prefer a scope when I hunt. I am just more confident with one. Even though we use a 1x in our muzzleloader season.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might consider going with QD rings/base.I use Leupold's QD setup on my TC Omega.Makes cleaning a breeze and consistently returns to zero.Love it!