Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn

Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default Blackhorn

I've been looking into loose powders recently as indicated in previous posts and have been looking at BH209 lately. I have some questions for anyone that shoots it. Will it shoot ok in my Triumph? Can I use Hoppes #9 to clean it after shooting, if not then what? Do Triple 7 primers work with BH209, if not what ones does everyone use? How do I measure BH209? I think that is it for now. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, Yes, and No.

It'll work fine in a Triumph just use regular 209 primers, not 777 primers, which are reduced power. Hoppes should work fine though some people think other things work a little better. You just need your normal BP volume measure for it.

I've never shot it so I'll leave the details to others.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure about using it in a triumph.

you measure it like any other powder, by volume.

It will be as powerful, and possibly slightly more powerful than 777 powder. I generally use 90 to 100 gr even for elk.

You can't use 777 primers. You have to use the hottest primers you can find. I am currently using CCI 209M (magnum) primers. I have also used Remington STS primers in my Omega.

Hoppes # 9 is the cleaner you should use. Water (what I use for 777) will not work for BH 209.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Agree with above. I use Winchester 209 Shotgun Shell Primers. Any 209 Shotgun Shell Primer should work. You will have to swipe after 10 or so shots because the fouling in the barrel will get to the point where it will be very hard to seat your sabot. I shot 13 consecutive shots without swabbing before it was too darn tight. That 13th shot also resulted in a hangfire. So I cleaned out the flashole. You will also have to clear out the flash hole in the breech plug every 10 or so shots as well because the of the fouling that the 209 primer leaves. So I personaly have a ten shot rule. It likes heavier bullets I do believe. I was shooting 250gr. bullets but after a recomendation, I tried a 300gr. bullet with great results. It bucks the wind better and just seemed to have a tighter grouping. Tack driver @ 50yds and a 1"-2" MOA @ 100yds. This is with a peep sight. At 150yds it opens up a bit but no more than a 2" to a 4" MOA and thats probly me and not the gun or the load. If I scoped it I am sure everything would get better but I can not hunt with a scoped ML during ML season here in CA. I use 110gr. of BH209. It is expencive and I went through a few containers of it before I finally found out what my Omega likes. I dont shoot it at the range anymore because of the price. I use T7 FFg. I have tried many combos with my Omega but can not duplicate the results of my 300gr. bullet and 110gr. BH209 combo. For hunting purposes, I think its a great sub. You will be able to load a finishing or second shot from a speed loader without any issues. Good luck and most of all, have fun.

Last edited by Powerfisher; 07-22-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: More information.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a number of TC guns including a Triumph and Blackhorn has worked quite well in all of them. I used win 209 primers for a while and have recently switched to STS , I have also tried the CCI 209m. they all worked just fine, some are a bit cleaner than others or so I have heard, I really have not noticed much difference. Lee
Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Spike

I recently became intrigued by the BH209 talk, so I decided to try it at the range today to dial in a new scope. Using CCI 209, Hornady SST 250's, and 110 grains of BH out of my T/C Endeavor, I took six shots at 50 yards to adjust a bit (all were just high of the bullseye), then went to the 100 yard site where I took three more shots (still a little high and now to the right a bit but grouping well) did some minor tweaking with the scope, then put out a new target. This time I put two half an inch above the bullseye almost on top of one another and one just a quarter of an inch to the left of the bullseye.

Needless to say, I am quite impressed with BH! I ran some Hoppes 9 down the barrel followed by a dry patch before the last three shots and was surprised by the minimal fouling.

At home, the clean up was great. I'm sure Hoppes would've cleaned it easily, but I decided to use some CVA Barrel Blaster to work it first (probably not necessary though). The breech plug was remarkably clean compared to 777 and did not have a crud ring. In fact, I could actually use my fingers to turn out the speed breech (777 usually fouls it too badly to do that).

The only thing that was a little weird regarding the whole shoot was that when i broke the action between shots, smoke was still rolling out of the breech hole a little bit. My Kleanbores with 777 pellets never did that. Maybe those hot primers need to cool down a bit or maybe BH209 burns much hotter, but I made sure to pause before loading more powder down the barrel for fear of an ignition while my hand was on the ramrod. Anyone else experience this?

Overall, I don't want to knock other propellants (in fact, I like the convenience of 777 pellets), but all things considered, BH209 is the way to go for me. Great shooting and minimal cleanup without swabbing the barrel after every shot. What's not to like? I'll buy more in the future (provided it doesn't run out of stock during hunting season as demand for it increases).
Old 07-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used nothing but BH209 from the beginning of my thus far short muzzleloading career. I can't compare it to other powders because I haven't used them but I really am impressed with BH209. Accuracy is great, power is great, and clean up is super easy. I have tried several different primers with it. Fed 209A primers work great but in my experience are by far the dirtiest. I prefer CCI 209M primers and that's what I currently use.

BTW, welcome 2112foru!
Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

ya, I have seen smoke from time to time but now I just let the barrel cool. After all, when you take your first shot at game, your barrel will be cold, right? I shoot and let it cool, shoot-cool and so on. When I use T7 FFg at the range, I see smoke but I figured it was just dust from the powder when I pour the powder down the barrel. I dont think its smoke. If it was hot enough to smoke, wouldnt it set off the powder that was just poured in th barrel?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Powerfisher
You will have to swipe after 10 or so shots because the fouling in the barrel will get to the point where it will be very hard to seat your sabot. I shot 13 consecutive shots without swabbing before it was too darn tight. That 13th shot also resulted in a hangfire. So I cleaned out the flashole. You will also have to clear out the flash hole in the breech plug every 10 or so shots as well because the of the fouling that the 209 primer leaves. So I personaly have a ten shot rule.
Now I had just the opposite response with my Knight Vision and BH209. I ended up shooting about 26 shots during my last shooting period, using a Hornaday 350 gr FPB bullet, and never had to swipe my barrel once till after my last shot when cleaning.

I have also shot more then a dozen sabots during a period just before my last shoot of 26 rounds, with no swipes. This is one of the best things about this powder, IMHO of course!

I can only say you must be shooting a very tight barrel. I would ventreu to say you are shooting a T/C product. They are know for very tight barrels. Am I right?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have several "tight barreled TC's I use BH in all of them, I have shot any one of them all day at the range and never had any problem that would indicate wiping or swabbing would be a good idea. I have tried swabbing and all my guns group tighter if you just shoot and cool a bit usually 3 minutes. I live in AR and the temperature is often over 90 when I am shooting which causes the barrel to hold heat longer.
As for the smoke I have noticed it, to it has nothing to do with the barrel temperature it is part of the residue of burnt powder. Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.