Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
XTP Performance on Whitetails? >

XTP Performance on Whitetails?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

XTP Performance on Whitetails?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

I have used the 300 gr. XTP with a green crush sabot for the last five years and have harvested game with them each year. In fact we had two deer in two of those years. None of the deer went more then 75 yds before going down. The main reason I used this bullet was because of its accuracy and ease of loading.

Actually my buddy was using the gun, a NEF Sidekick. He was not into ML hunting till he met me. The gun was my back up and I let him use it those years. We hunted on his 60 acre farm.

Now as to my hunting bullet, I use the SST/Shockwave bullet and love it. However, I have recently found the Hornady FPB, along with Blackhorn 209 and love this combination. I will be using it in the woods with my Knight Vision this year.

I guess if you ask this question enough times, you will get a like number of different responses for different bullets. It will boil down to what you end up liking, but isn't that the fun part. I mean shooting these different bullets and powder combos???
Old 07-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Double Drops 24
Have you used the 240 grain or 300 grain XTP's?

I have mostly used the 250grn and 300grn. I did shoot a couple Deer with the 44cal 240grn a few years ago. They all work great.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have yet to gut-shoot an animal and hope I never do.
i hope so too. A gutshot animal is a mess to clean. Until last year i had shot one or two animals in the guts in my lifetime. Things started to go wrong in Jan or Feb when i shot a big sow in the guts at about 120 yards. When that 240 grain bullet hit her with a splat instead of a thunk i knew i was in trouble. Had a long tracking job and then had to drag that sow uphill for about 90 yards. Then last fall i shot a doe a little too far back in the liver and had another long tracking and uphill dragging job.

BTW: If you have to drag a big sow or a deer uphill do it before you are 70 years old.

Last edited by falcon; 07-12-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
i hope so too. A gutshot animal is a mess to clean. Until last year i had shot one or two animals in the guts in my lifetime. Things started to go wrong in Jan or Feb when i shot a big sow in the guts at about 120 yards. When that 240 grain bullet hit her with a splat instead of a thunk i knew i was in trouble. Had a long tracking job and then had to drag that sow uphill for about 90 yards. Then last fall i shot a doe a little too far back in the liver and had another long tracking and uphill dragging job.

BTW: If you have to drag a big sow or a deer uphill do it before you are 70 years old.
HAHA! I hear that. I'm 29 and it was a chore dragging a 200 pound boar out of the woods last night.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:40 PM

Default xtps

out of a traditional ML they are deadly whitetail medicine.