Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Speaking of Gadgets >

Speaking of Gadgets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Speaking of Gadgets

Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Speaking of Gadgets

OK guys - what is the gadget you wouldn't be caught dead in the woods with? And what one do you think serves a real purpose.

Me - I just couldn't see myself carrying one of them 'mirrors' that you put up so you can see behind you.
As for the other, I would have to say that little tool that you use to install a 209 primer and the other end to pop out a spent one. Especially with a scoped Genesis and my big thumbs.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Speaking of Gadgets

Other than my standard hunting equipmentwhen hunting or any other time for that matter [I run at least one feeder all year] I would not be with out my Leatherman. It has kept me from being stranded at least 4 times with ATV's and boats over the last 30 or so years. Lee
Old 06-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I am not real big on gadgets. BUT in the woods I always have a compass and a swiss army pocket knife. I've gutted more game with that silly little swiss army knife because I always forget my buck folding knife it seems.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Spike

I never go to the woods without my Thermacell. It saved me numerous times from being eaten alive.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I make sure I always have in my pack or pocket is three or four of those individual foil packages of baby wipes. Don't leave home without them.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Headlights...very useful

Bow slings...very useful. I used to hunt with recurves/long bows for years. Now I hunt with a compound (old/new). If I have a 300yd or more walk in or out of the woods in the dark I use the sling. I think they are great (we all use slings on our rifles...don't we)? I don't use them in the day light because they take an extra several seconds to remove if you see deer while walking.

A gadget I would not be caught dead with? I don't know! I don't own anything like that.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to go into the woods with so much junk that I would literally fill my ALICE pack. The last couple years I've been trying to hunt as light as possible and leave that crap in the truck. Now I pretty much carry my gun, at least three reloads, my big old fixed blade Buck knife and 50 feet of 550 cord (it has a thousand uses, and it's a lot easier to carry than rope). I also carry a small flashlight (Mini-Mag light), rubber gloves, and pen, a small first aid kit and my cell phone with a full battery. Everything else stays in the truck. I never really hunt more than a mile from it, so if I need something, I can always go get it.

Mike

Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

No gadgets for me....I go in lean and mean. Rifle, enough bullets, powder, and primers for 8 shots. Knife, tree saw for the pelvis bone, a bottle of water, rope, and something to snack on.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Besides the necessities, (gun, bow, rope, bullets, etc.) I would feel half naked without my 5x32 binoculars. Really nice in low light.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

A gadget that I wouldn't be caught dead with - one of those stupid "cough silencers".

Something I wouldn't go in the woods without- my Gerber (similar to Leatherman) - it's come in handy far to many times for me to count.

Quick Reply: Speaking of Gadgets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.