Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Knight bullets/sabots? >

Knight bullets/sabots?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight bullets/sabots?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knight bullets/sabots?

Who makes them? I (a newbie) just purchased a 20 pack of ".50 Caliber Jacketed Bullet & Sabot, 300 Grains." Assuming they work in my gun, I want to know if they are proprietary or just a popular bullet with "Knight" slapped on the packaging
So who makes the bullets, Hornady? How about the sabots?
While we are at it, who makes the sabots that come with Hornadys?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knight bullets/sabots?

Those bullets are 300grn Hornady XTP'S. As far as the sabots?????? Several companies have made them for Knight. Best thing to do is throw them away and order your own sabots.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

hubby11

I am not sure that they are XTP's - Hornady does not expose a bare lead tip like that.

This is a Hornady...

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...95f4c7b72957e0

Thought it might be a Sierra but not quite sure....

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.c...6&displayAll=1

Look at the bottom of the sabot (the pressure cup) if it has a stair-stepped base it is a MMP if it has a smooth cup it is probably a Harvester... maybe a Harvester short black. Althoug MMP makes most of the Knight sabots...

Just some guesses...

Old 05-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Theyarenot 300 grain Hornady XTPs.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

The bullets pictured look like the 260gr Speer JHP.Used to be one of my favorites out of my MK-85... with the Knight sabot.

I asked Del Ramsey of MMP way back about the Knight HP sabots... he said he makes them. They are close to the short black MMP's, but I think slightly thicker. He said he can't sell them to me... as per agreement with Knight.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that's not a 300grn XTP. I sure thought it was. The bullet on the left is a .452 300grn XTP. The one on the right is a .458 300grn XTP

Old 05-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome hubby!!!

I also think they are the Speer 260s...Go ahead and shoot them up, then come back on and ask these guys what's the best bulk bullet for deer hunting...

You'll get a few pages....
Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grouse45, I think you were right. The pic I posted was not accurate, although it was the pic on the website from which I got the bullets/sabots. Now that I look at the actual bullet, it does indeed look like the XTP. The accompanying sabot is still a mystery. The packaging just says "high pressure sabots"

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

hubby11

The accompanying sabot is still a mystery
That is a Knight Sabot it is a thick devil for the older Knights. Knight sold there sabot machines to Del (MMP) but he still makes that dabot for them to their specification. It will probably not load down any of the modern guns with a tight bore... If you look at the petals you can see that their is a wider gap than a normal MMP sabot between the petals. Think it measures .508 - I use them in my White.

It is an regular Hornady XTP... the picture at the beginning of your thread I beleive has been correcly identified as a 260 Nolser. I knew it wasn't a Hornady..
Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again for the advice. I'll be asking a ton more once my X7 arrives. I'm thinking it's a waste of time/money to purchase the bullet/sabot packages since it's anybody's guess which combonation will work in a particular rifle. Since I'll be shooting an Omega, my guess is these Knight sabots will be of no use to me.

Quick Reply: Knight bullets/sabots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.