Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

i need to know?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:49 AM

Default i need to know?

if you use preloaded pellets and there get broken like if you smash them will this throw off your accuracy?if the bullet doesnt get all the way seated on the powder what will be the result these are serious need to knows thanks guys
Old 04-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: i need to know?

CIDEERHUNTER

if you use preloaded pellets and there get broken like if you smash them will this throw off your accuracy?if the bullet doesnt get all the way seated on the powder what will be the result these are serious need to knows thanks guys
Of your two question the bigger problem exists if you do not get the bullet seated on the pellets. You really do not want an air space between powder and projectile, so it is 'important' to seat the projectile on the powder.

'Crushing' there are some pellets out there that advise you to crush them. 'Crushing' can have an effect on accuracy... anytime you load slightly differently you may see a change in POI, usually not a major change if you are close to being uniform.

Of the two options it is safer to 'crush' than to 'not seat' the projectile.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't use pellets but IMO I do not think that minor crushing of the pellets would be that detrimental to accuracy. And like sabotloader said consistancy is the key to accuracy. As for not seating the bullet on top of the charge, this can be apotentially dangerous situation. Some of the problems that you could see happening is inconsistant accuracy, and anything from a minor barrel bulge to barrel rupture (both of which will severely ruin accuracy, not to mention YOUR day).
This is the main reason why, after loading on a clean barrel, you should put a reference line on your ramrod for sucessive loading depth. I usually use a piece of masking tape as a reference until I find a load my rifle likes, then I put a permanent line on the ramrod.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with everything mentioned above. I started with pellets and have since gone to loose powder.