Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

45 GM - LRH

Old 04-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default 45 GM - LRH

Finally got to get out and shoot the .45 before the wind picked up again. This is the first outing with this barrel. I think it should do allright. First I cleanedthe barrel really good with someHoppes, dried it and started shooting. Targets on the right were to get the scope adjusted. (might have to move it back a little or get one with more eye relief) Then I shot for a group left target and small one.
Five shots without swabbing in between.. This was 80 gr. pyro Pand 200 gr. Hornady XTP with blue crushed rib sabots.

This was at 50 yds.

I think I like what I see

Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 45 GM - LRH

dp - that is the exact same load I shoot out of both of my 45 LRH barrels with similar results. Actually I was getting slightly better groups at 100 yds with 70 gr of Pyro P but because I wasshooting open sights, I couldn't get the rear sight down low enough with the 70 gr charge and I had to boost it up to 80 gr.
But I like these barrels. And that 200 gr XTP is a great bullet.
BTW Good shooting.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting there dp. Those little groups sure make you smile.

I really like my .45 GM LRH barrel also.

Pyrodex P didn't shoot that well for me. So far, I'm gettingmy best 50 yard groups with 90 grains Pyrodex RS and the Harvester smooth blue sabot.
This group was shot while wiping with one side of one alcohol patch between shots (1S1AP). I haven't shot it without wiping. Need to try that.

Eighty grains of T7 FFG gives me pretty good groups also.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Great shooting both of you. What's with the .40 200gr XTP? The 45s seem to love 'em.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice shooting.. I need to get out and shoot mine some more. But I am just too busy these days with all the spring yard cleaningand then wood cutting work. May just have to take a week off.. I am sure I can talk the boss into it.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

It does seem these green mountain barrels really shoot and hornady does make a good bullet with that 200 xtp.. Good combo.
I might get brave andtake the scope off,but at 100 yds. it is just a littleFUZZY

Dave, i know what you mean about the spring work, raking, trimming trees, lawn mower and tractormaintinence, pool cleaning,etc.

Good shooting semi and bronko