Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa. >

How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa.

I started this thread because of all the request's to show the graphic pics of the game shot this weekend.

The pic below is of the gut shot pig i talked about.

I will post some pics that i took of the damage that i saw.

I do remember this is where the bullet exited on the ram i shot the whole way thru it.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa.

Whoa- those bullets sure did a number on those hogs. It looks like the bronze petals that broke off stayed fairly close to the main wound channel - I know a couple people worried that the petals would veer off into the gut or elsewhere, even on a good shoot. But from the pics it looks like the petals stayed within a couple inches of the main wound channel. Very impressive....

Did you notice a big difference in the amount of damage done when comparing the .40 cal Lehigh's with the .45 cals?
Thanks for the report.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! thats some wound channel. I would not be worried about shooting a deer with that.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

It certainly looks like the Lehighs put a world of hurt on those animals....

Picture #1 - is that an inny or outty wound?

Just out of curiosity, what percentage of meat might have been lost acrooss the board - all seven animals... I see a lot of rib damage in one, but it does not appear that a lot of valuable meat was lost at all.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Spike

Were these bullets the Hollow Points are did you have the Plastic inserts(TIP) in them?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:18 AM
Typical Buck

Wholely Hog!! Those pics tell the Whole story
That 200g bullet did a number on those critters....AND punched thru even at 100 yards
My coveted 200g ShockWaves and SST's will be sitting on the bench this year for deer season...Oh Yea

Thanks Tom, for all your efforts and testing!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Banned

That's some serious damage. Looks like that bullet killed it,gutted it and skinned it all in one. Sure saves a lot of work
Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Now this is with 130 grains of bh209? Im wondering how they will do at lower velocitys. The performence on them hogs is impressive. I dont think I need that for these Michigan Whitetail. But I guess theres no such thing as too dead.

Lane you just send me those 200 gr SSTs

Old 04-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: burntmuch

Now this is with 130 grains of bh209? Im wondering how they will do at lower velocitys. The performence on them hogs is impressive. I dont think I need that for these Michigan Whitetail. But I guess theres no such thing as too dead.

Lane you just send me those 200 gr SSTs

Oh I SEE how it is

You would bedepriving all those Coyotes of my "Death" from Looooong RangesHuh??
Old 04-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took the pictures of the 250grn bullets and have them at home. I will post them with weights when i get home tonight. I do want to mention some stuff below. Please read.

If you are looking for a conventional mushroomed bullet the Lehigh will not show it, conventional thought is out the door. The Lehigh bullet is designed to react differently than a conventional mushrooming bullet. The petals of the hollow point are designed to remain in place and open slowly as they penetrate through denser muscle tissue and or bone. They are designed to open rapidly when the fluids of the organs is contacted. The petals will open to approximately 40 degrees and then separate from the bullets. The six petals then continue out and in a spiral course creating a larger wound diameter or wound channel. The radiating petals will puncture delicate organs in the cavity and create additional hydrostatic shock. The petals do not have sufficient weight to travel a great distance, usually about 10 inches in organ tissue. Because the petals are so light they will and do loose velocity and energy rapidly in the organ tissue. If they make it to muscle tissue, the tissue is so much denser it slows and halts the flight even more rapidly.

While all of this is happening the projectile sized core, with it’s now flat meplat continues through the animal until it exits or expends all of its energy in the animal.

In the case of the Lehigh’s used during this hunt, all of the 200 grain Lehigh’s did exit and 2 of the 250 grain bullets that were shot on a quartering angle, were found up against the under side of the hide on the opposite side of the animal.

While these bullets performed near flawlessly on this hunt, further testing and reporting is warranted by other individuals.

Quick Reply: How Lehigh Bullets performaned in Tioga Pa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.