Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need honest opinions from those with experience >

Need honest opinions from those with experience

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need honest opinions from those with experience

Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 AM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: Need honest opinions from those with experience

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Chet - thanks, I will have to see if I can find anyone who has one or can order one. Tradition's site only lists the 50 cal. But is a neat looking rifle. I like it even better than the Crockett.
I bought mine last year through the local hardware store. they get a lot of their stuff from BassPro, so think that is where it came from. It is listed as the "DeerHunter" . Punch in Traditions Deerhunter 32 cal. and you should find it. i paid about $300.00 with shipping but you could probably find it cheaper online ( less than 250). I try to shop locally as much as possible so i pay a little more sometimes.It is a nice gun except the fiber optic sights look out of place

Old 04-05-2009, 09:41 AM
mountaineer magic

http://www.openseasongear.com/Deerhu.../R36128101.htm

this link has it for only 235.00 The picture is nickel and composite model. Mine is wood and blued. The description says wood and blued, so I don't know why the picture is different. I know in the 50 cal model they offer nickel, camo and a couple others. I checked bass pro and they want 314.00 now. I guess they went up since last year. Good luck

Old 04-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually I found a site that has the Crockett rifle for $329 NIB.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think this the the gun he is looking for. It is not a squirrelly gun. Here in Virginia we can't use a .32 cal. to hunt deer.

I think this is what he is looking for: http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/large.asp It is however a little expensive at $380.

I'm sure there are some a little cheaper then this.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks to all that replied. But the Crockett is on hold now that I got a T/C Hawken Silver Elite on the way.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

About 25 years ago I built a 32 caliber halfstock percussion rifle. I used a drum and nipple system on a Montana Rifle BarrelCo. barrel. It is 3/4 inch across the flats and 35 inches long. I used a Dixie Tennessee mountain rifle percussion lock and a stock blank from Doc Hopkins Long Rifle Shop. Over the years I have put many squirrels in thefreezer with that little rifle. It never gave a minutes trouble. I use 25gr of GOEX 3-f behind a .310 round ball and is a delite to shoot.

A couple of years ago I converted it to flint ignition with a L&R drop in replacement for the Dixie lock. If I find a limb or something to rest the rifle on I can still get a head shot on a 25 yard squrirrel.

When I retired, my buddies at work gave me a Crockett .32 as a gift and I have shot it quite a bit and have had no problems with it. It also is a great shooter. Mine likes 35gr of 3-f behind a .310 rb.

Hunting with a flintlock is more fun than peeing off the back porch.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mr. Flint Lock

Mr. Flintlock, Do you know anyone that makes a drop in Flint lock for the Hatfield rifle? I think the drum could be replaced with a threaded liner.