HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Need honest opinions from those with experience (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/291060-need-honest-opinions-those-experience.html)

bronko22000 04-04-2009 07:08 AM

Need honest opinions from those with experience

I am really contemplating hard on getting a .32 cal Crockett Rifle. I want it just to plink with and probably be fun to squirrel and rabbit hunt with it. But I have been reading about how fast they foul up (that tiny bore). Do you guys think it is really a problem. What the heck, most of us swab between shots anyway.
If I do decide on one, I will be using the .310" lead balls and wondering what patch thickness would be best to start with. I can get it in .010", .015" or .018". The load would probably be 20 - 25 gr of FFFg or Pyrodex P.
Lets hear your thoughts.

lemoyne 04-04-2009 07:34 AM

RE: Need honest opinions from those with experience

bronko22000
I went the same route back before commercial muzzle loaders became popular I wanted a good squirrel gun, I started with 30 cal and ended up with a 40 cal with a 36 in between. Yes they can be bad about fouling and the very light balls limited the range more than I could believe at first. Yet they are a barrel of fun[no pun intended], i would recommend a 36 as it seems like the fouling is less difficult to deal with from there on to the bigger calibers and it is much easier to find the equipment to match the caliber, even if you make your own accessories it is a good choice.Lee

cayugad 04-04-2009 08:19 AM

I've read some posts by Crockett owners on other forums and all I have heard is how much fun they are to shoot. 20 grains of 3f and a roundball and they plinking begins. I would bet that they make a good 50 yard squirrel rifle. BUT I do not own one or shoot one... yet. Sportsman's Guide have them on sale.

Rock Fish 04-04-2009 09:38 AM

I'd go with a .36 cal. One reason is cleaning and swabing between shots . The cleaning or ramrod is smaller on a .32 and would be easier to break.

Johnmorris 04-04-2009 11:00 AM

I have a 36cal and really like it I got it from the Possible's Shop It is a CVA bobcat good shooter I think they are selling for 200 now I know Big 6 on Modern Muzzleloader just bought one

mountaineer magic 04-05-2009 06:10 AM

The 32 cal crockett is a great gun . I bought one 2 years ago . I use 30 gr 3f,.310 ball and a .018 patch. It is accurate for me to 40 yards. I haven't tried much beyond that. I intended it to be the first blackpowder gun for my kids to learn on.It was so much fun that I shoot it more than they do. I never really experimented a whole lot with loads. I used Shockeys gold and different have a fouling problem. I figure for the distance I was shooting the velocity variation with APP wouldn't matter a whole lot. I used t7 3f also. That definitely is a swab every shot powder. I might have to dig it out and experiment some more now that you have me thinking about it.

rafsob 04-05-2009 06:15 AM

Had a friend that had to sell most of his guns due to bad times. I picked up his Traditions Crockett .32 cal Squirrelly gun and have nothing but fun ever since. They are easy to handle and shoot. I have no problems with crud buildup. I only use the real stuff, Goex BP. I am using the .310 ball with a .015 or .018 patch. They both seem to work and both go down fairly easy.

This is my first go to fun gun in my safe as to BP guns. Go out and get one and just have some fun. But Iwould think of shooting the real stuff. It has no issues on ignition. Goes bang everytime. ;)

mountaineer magic 04-05-2009 06:34 AM

Traditions also makes the Frontier in a 32 cal. It isn't as nice as the Crockett but it shoots good and is a lot cheaper. The only thing about the Crockett is it is expensive, Nice gun but over priced in my opinion.:D

bronko22000 04-05-2009 08:43 AM

Chet - thanks, I will have to see if I can find anyone who has one or can order one. Tradition's site only lists the 50 cal. But is a neat looking rifle. I like it even better than the Crockett.

eldeguello 04-05-2009 09:03 AM

Sounds like a fun gun - flintlock, no doubt! IF a flinter, you'd have to put a couple of grains of black in the barrel first to ignite a Pyrodex main charge, and of course FFFFg in the pan.....