HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   sighting in a scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/290995-sighting-scope.html)

cayugad 04-03-2009 11:49 AM

sighting in a scope

Last night I took and adjusted thescope on my Renegade that has a stainless steel .50 caliber Green Mountain Barrel on it. I was seeing how well the scope captured light at dusk. I like to aim out my patio door into the woods and pick out small items, just as if Iwere hunting. I decided I was not pleased with the cross hairs or the eye relief setting. So out came the tools, and in a few minutes I had it right where I wanted it to be.

So today I wanted to check that scope all over again. It is on Tradition quick release rings.

So I set a box out at 30 yards since that is the most common distance I hunt and shoot at. Also I like to sight in close. I knew the rifle should be close. I also knew the rifle likes .44 caliber .430 diam Hornady XTP 300 grain in a green Harvester Crushed Rib sabot.

I then decided I would try the rifle with some Triple Seven 2f. All I can say, is I seldom have hangfires with this rifle but shooting Triple Seven today it was terrible. If I swabbed, I had a hangfire. And I had to swab as I had a terrible crud ring build up in the rifle. I actually thought I was going to have a stuck cleaning rod, because I was trying to use as dry a patch as I could. That hangfire was a real old fashon tick.. boom. So I had to concentrate to hold through.

The first group was good I thought, so I made an adjustment. The second group was really getting me excited. But the one hangfire with that group was terrible. I actually started to lift my head when it went off (and paid for it from the scope). I was swabbing with T-13 cleaner, lots of dry patches, and even popping a cap off before loading. But I should say, it was humid. Snowing lightly actually. But that hangfire sure ruined a good group I had going. But then at 30 yards I would expect nothing less.

After making an adjustment to the scope, I decided to change powders. So I got some Graf's & Sons 2f black powder made by Wano. Also, since 100 grains of T-7 seemed like a good load, I decided to shoot 120 grains of the black powder. I was pleased. And the hangfires disappeared.

One more final slight adjustment and with the black powder still, I decided that was close enough for me... Now to test it at some longer ranges.

heinz57 04-03-2009 01:14 PM

RE: sighting in a scope

Dave u wrote "I was swabbing with T-13 cleaner" is that ur new cleaning solution ???? i only use the cleaning solution formula that u posted a while back ..[correct me if i am wrong]

50% of gas line antifreeze + 50% of - 40 windshield washer liquide ...

i use it with good results ...it dries very fast and the barrel is bone dry ..[good for sabots]

cayugad 04-03-2009 01:38 PM

I found a bottle of it when I was arranging my stuff, so I decided to use it. I wanted to see how well it worked. Well with the hangfires using Triple Seven, I was not impressed with it at all. And to be honest, it did not work any better then the old solution I always use.

I like to try different thing, but let me put it this way, I am not getting another bottle. It must have been a Wal Mart end of the season thing I picked up.

SWThomas 04-03-2009 01:58 PM

Great shooting Dave! I'll be looking for the longer range results!

Have you tried any Blackhorn in that rifle?

TNHagies 04-03-2009 02:05 PM

Looks like all is well with the scope. It sure is hard to beat black powder in a sidelock. I too sometimes have hangfires w/777 during the summer.

kb1 04-03-2009 02:13 PM

I"M real new to sidelocks but had + seen lots of hang fires with t72f but good results with t73f

cayugad 04-03-2009 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Great shooting Dave! I'll be looking for the longer range results!

Have you tried any Blackhorn in that rifle?
Its a side lock with a #11 ignition. Blackhorn would not work in that rifle. Although I thought about trying to duplex a load and see what happened.

cayugad 04-03-2009 02:38 PM

Normally... I don't get hang fires with Triple Seven 2f. Crud rings... yes I get them. But today there was a real noticeable hangfire. Yet when I switched over to black powder, all of that went away.

bronko22000 04-03-2009 03:16 PM

Dave - I sympathize with you on the T7. I have 1 1/2 containers of it going to waste in my powder box. I use only BP in my flinters of course but I use BP and Pyrodex RS and P in my percussion locksand my Genesis. I've found that I get good groups with either of these powders.
I've experienced too many hangfires and inconsistant grouping with the T7.

hunting junkie 04-03-2009 03:17 PM

Nice group,are you gonna stay away from the 777 for good with that rifle?