HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   sighting in a scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/290995-sighting-scope.html)

cayugad 04-03-2009 11:49 AM

sighting in a scope

Last night I took and adjusted thescope on my Renegade that has a stainless steel .50 caliber Green Mountain Barrel on it. I was seeing how well the scope captured light at dusk. I like to aim out my patio door into the woods and pick out small items, just as if Iwere hunting. I decided I was not pleased with the cross hairs or the eye relief setting. So out came the tools, and in a few minutes I had it right where I wanted it to be.

So today I wanted to check that scope all over again. It is on Tradition quick release rings.

So I set a box out at 30 yards since that is the most common distance I hunt and shoot at. Also I like to sight in close. I knew the rifle should be close. I also knew the rifle likes .44 caliber .430 diam Hornady XTP 300 grain in a green Harvester Crushed Rib sabot.

I then decided I would try the rifle with some Triple Seven 2f. All I can say, is I seldom have hangfires with this rifle but shooting Triple Seven today it was terrible. If I swabbed, I had a hangfire. And I had to swab as I had a terrible crud ring build up in the rifle. I actually thought I was going to have a stuck cleaning rod, because I was trying to use as dry a patch as I could. That hangfire was a real old fashon tick.. boom. So I had to concentrate to hold through.

The first group was good I thought, so I made an adjustment. The second group was really getting me excited. But the one hangfire with that group was terrible. I actually started to lift my head when it went off (and paid for it from the scope). I was swabbing with T-13 cleaner, lots of dry patches, and even popping a cap off before loading. But I should say, it was humid. Snowing lightly actually. But that hangfire sure ruined a good group I had going. But then at 30 yards I would expect nothing less.

After making an adjustment to the scope, I decided to change powders. So I got some Graf's & Sons 2f black powder made by Wano. Also, since 100 grains of T-7 seemed like a good load, I decided to shoot 120 grains of the black powder. I was pleased. And the hangfires disappeared.

One more final slight adjustment and with the black powder still, I decided that was close enough for me... Now to test it at some longer ranges.

heinz57 04-03-2009 01:14 PM

RE: sighting in a scope

Dave u wrote "I was swabbing with T-13 cleaner" is that ur new cleaning solution ???? i only use the cleaning solution formula that u posted a while back ..[correct me if i am wrong]

50% of gas line antifreeze + 50% of - 40 windshield washer liquide ...

i use it with good results ...it dries very fast and the barrel is bone dry ..[good for sabots]

cayugad 04-03-2009 01:38 PM

I found a bottle of it when I was arranging my stuff, so I decided to use it. I wanted to see how well it worked. Well with the hangfires using Triple Seven, I was not impressed with it at all. And to be honest, it did not work any better then the old solution I always use.

I like to try different thing, but let me put it this way, I am not getting another bottle. It must have been a Wal Mart end of the season thing I picked up.

SWThomas 04-03-2009 01:58 PM

Great shooting Dave! I'll be looking for the longer range results!

Have you tried any Blackhorn in that rifle?

TNHagies 04-03-2009 02:05 PM

Looks like all is well with the scope. It sure is hard to beat black powder in a sidelock. I too sometimes have hangfires w/777 during the summer.

kb1 04-03-2009 02:13 PM

I"M real new to sidelocks but had + seen lots of hang fires with t72f but good results with t73f

cayugad 04-03-2009 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Great shooting Dave! I'll be looking for the longer range results!

Have you tried any Blackhorn in that rifle?
Its a side lock with a #11 ignition. Blackhorn would not work in that rifle. Although I thought about trying to duplex a load and see what happened.

cayugad 04-03-2009 02:38 PM

Normally... I don't get hang fires with Triple Seven 2f. Crud rings... yes I get them. But today there was a real noticeable hangfire. Yet when I switched over to black powder, all of that went away.

bronko22000 04-03-2009 03:16 PM

Dave - I sympathize with you on the T7. I have 1 1/2 containers of it going to waste in my powder box. I use only BP in my flinters of course but I use BP and Pyrodex RS and P in my percussion locksand my Genesis. I've found that I get good groups with either of these powders.
I've experienced too many hangfires and inconsistant grouping with the T7.

hunting junkie 04-03-2009 03:17 PM

Nice group,are you gonna stay away from the 777 for good with that rifle?

cayugad 04-03-2009 03:56 PM

No.. I will keep trying Triple Seven. I just have to experiement next time with a pure alcohol swab and see if that makes the hangfires behave. It did shoot a nice tight group when it went off.

rafsob 04-05-2009 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Dave - I sympathize with you on the T7. I have 1 1/2 containers of it going to waste in my powder box. I use only BP in my flinters of course but I use BP and Pyrodex RS and P in my percussion locksand my Genesis. I've found that I get good groups with either of these powders.
I've experienced too many hangfires and inconsistant grouping with the T7.
In my experience with sidelocks, I have decided that only the real NP will give you the consistency you want in the field. T7 and the like are great for inlines with the hotter 209 primer. My suggestion for the use of sidelocks, cap and flint, is to shoot BP if you don't want to miss out on that perfect shot.

No clicks, just bangs!!!