Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting The Zouave (9 pictures) >

Shooting The Zouave (9 pictures)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting The Zouave (9 pictures)

Old 03-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting The Zouave (9 pictures)

My Navy Arms .58 Zouave was complaining that I haven't taken her out for quite a while, so I took her to aSunday afternoon shoot. She ain't a pretty lady (needs a refinishing)but she's lots of fun. Also, she's still wearing the LOL hardware store nuts & bolts peep sight mounted in a forward position.

Her favorite load is 70 grains GOEX FFFg under a .575 ball in a .016 patch. But I've never shot her with hotter loads of GOEX, so I thought I would give that a try.
I put a target out a 50 yards and loaded with 105 grains of FFFg and a .575 ball. Took only three shots with that load. It was kicking the hammer back to half cock.
I'm thinking my nipple may be getting a little worn, because the mainspring sure isn't weak. Here's that first target.

So I put out a new target anddropped the load to 100 grains. Here's the 5-shot target.

Those four shots into a one and three-quarter inch group are about as good as I can do with this gun.
That shot way to the right that increased the group to over four inches is a mystery to me. Every one of those shots felt good, surely nothing bad enough to cause that much difference.

I decided to shoot another group with the same powder charge, but with a .570 ball. Here's the result.

Not too bad. Not my best, butabout my average "pretty good" group with this gun at 50 yards. Easily "lung of deer" anyway.

Up until now I'd been using some .016 patches cut from a $2 Good Will Store table cloth. So I figured I would try the same load with.018 pillow tick patches.
Here's the target.

Dang! Another group with four pretty good shots and one screwing it up. What's up with that.

Let's staywith the .570 ball, drop the charge to 90 grains, and go back to the table cloth patch material. Here's that group.

Well, at least with this one I know the shot low and to the left was my fault. I squeezed when I shouldn't have.
Anyway, I didn't want to break the pattern of 4 pretty good shots and one bad one.

OK, drop the charge another 10 grains and keep everything else the same. Here's what happened.

Not so good. I wonder if it's the load or me? Anyway, that 80 grain load is a lot more pleasant shooting than the 100 grain one.

Drop the load another 10 grains to 70 - which has always shot well in this gun. Here's the target.

DANG !!![:@] WHAT IS IT WITH THOSE 1 in 5 FLYERS ???

I had timefor one more round. So I shot the 70 grain load again, but switched back to the .575 ball which the gun has always preferred. Here it is.

Well, at least I finished the day with a "feel good" target. One day I may try to set the gun up with a peep back on the tang and see what happens. But to tell you the truth, I kinda` like that big 3/16" peep set forward on the barrel.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting The Zouave (9 pictures)

I'd say you tried,and got a winner.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Thanks for the pics... it really help invision what is going on...

I need to get out and shoot my Renegades some more with PRB's your targets have given me inspiration + I have another project i should do - but muzzy target shooting season is coming soon....
Old 03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the pics... it really help invision what is going on...
You're welcome sabotloader. I post a lot of pictures `cause I know a bunch of you guys can't read all that well.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is one great looking gun. Nice shooting. Have you shot any deer with that gun?
Art
Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like reading stuff with a lot of pictures. you know. nevermind

great looking gun. semi
Old 03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've never shot a deer with it flounder,but I sure would like to. I carried it for three or four hunts last season but didn't get a shot. We have a long season (mid Nov to end Jan) and I hunt at least two days each week end. But I swap guns around a lot. One morning I'll take the Mustang. That evening I might take the GP flintlock. The next morning maybe theB-78 25-06or the New Englander. So I never know what gun I'll be shooting a deer with. The guys in my club laugh at me a lot.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like reading stuff with a lot of pictures.
Me too Corey.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great shooting! I really need to get me one of those sidelocks.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I've never shot a deer with it flounder,but I sure would like to. I carried it for three or four hunts last season but didn't get a shot. We have a long season (mid Nov to end Jan) and I hunt at least two days each week end. But I swap guns around a lot. One morning I'll take the Mustang. That evening I might take the GP flintlock. The next morning maybe theB-78 25-06or the New Englander. So I never know what gun I'll be shooting a deer with. The guys in my club laugh at me a lot.

Do ya ever forget some of the guns you own?
Great report.

Quick Reply: Shooting The Zouave (9 pictures)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.