Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Speed Breech.....

Old 03-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Speed Breech.....

Well I bought Grouse'sTriumph - said I wouldn't but I did...

Playing around with the Speed Breech today I think I made a discovery on my own... use guys that have been using the speed breech probably already know this but fer us beginners...

On the tip of the breech plug are the metal 'gas seal' rings... Well there are three of them rings with a breeak in each ring... To me they are nthing more than compression rings that you would put on a piston in a car... and how many times I was tolt by my dad "do not line the breaks in the rings up" Well these ring are loose and can be roted around fairly easily. As I looked at my plug to of the rings were lined very wel and the thrid one was just off set a bit. I took a needle tip and re-arranged the split in the rings so that they were amost opposit of each each. This really did/should help any blow back from escaping back up the BP. I also am using a teflon wrap on the BP to help provide lubrication and additional seal if it were needed. I hate grease in the BP barrel threads...

This pic shows the ring gap...

Speed Breech - wrapped - probably not necessary - just extra insurance

Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Speed Breech.....

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Well I bought Grouse'sTriumph - said I wouldn't but I did...

Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Sabot - 2 things. I was looking at the first pic of the breech plug and now I cansafely say you know which end is UP....
Secondly, I don't know why you would have bought that rifle, especially with all them Lehigh bullets that were put through it...[]

Oh well, I guess you know what you're doing (HA) - so good luck with it.
Actually, I'm sure it was well taken care of and you will be happy with it.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

Naw! he shoots them lehigh's out of his Knights, this were a brand new one still had all the TC storage crap in the barrel..

But, I am going to get some of those Lehigh's to try, along with a bunch of other things. I still end up shooting Spreer's,Noslers, and 200 grain XTP'scan not teach an old dog new tricks, but it will be fun to see how the other half lives...
Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000
Secondly, I don't know why you would have bought that rifle, especially with all them Lehigh bullets that were put through it...[]
Where did you read that? I have never shot a Lehigh bullet out of a Triumph.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being a military guy we are taught to do the same thing with the bolt rings on our M16's. I thought the exact same thing when I first saw the Speed Breech XT on my Endeavor. I rotated them also to where they were staggered. It should definitely help with blowback.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't worry Grouse - Sabotloader knows I was just pullin his leg.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Grouse45

ORIGINAL: bronko22000
Where did you read that? I have never shot a Lehigh bullet out of a Triumph.
Grouse, is there a reason you have not shot Lehigh bullets out of a Triumph
like the tight barrel or something? I was thinking about trying a few, could you give me the diameter so I can get an idea of what sabot might work?
Lee
Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I look at the rings when I clean it to make sure they are not lined up, I have never had to move them, I just wipe it off and put a light coat of synthetic oil on it and have never had any blow back that was noticeable.
Sabot loader did you get that tape into the gun with out any problem? I would have though it would be to tight. Lee
Old 03-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

I look at the rings when I clean it to make sure they are not lined up, I have never had to move them, I just wipe it off and put a light coat of synthetic oil on it
I clean them with a wire brush trying to get all the old carbon and crud out and when I am rubbing them with the brush I move them all over the place. I am really trying to get the groove clean also.

The plug goes right in without a problem with the tape on. I am pretty sure it tears when the rings are compressed but the tape of the nose just adds to the seal of the gas rings.

Quick Reply: Speed Breech.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.