Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 shoot a cap to prevent crud ring >

shoot a cap to prevent crud ring

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

shoot a cap to prevent crud ring

Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Spike

Default shoot a cap to prevent crud ring

buddy of mine said he shoots a cap off before loading his t7 pellets and sabot and he doesn't have a problem with a crud ring. anybody else hear of this?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shoot a cap to prevent crud ring

I always snap a primer off before loading and i always have the crud ring. There are people who dont get it. Sabotloader on this board does not get the ring. I sometimes wonder if it's what we use to clean and preserve are bores with, is the culprit?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also always snap a cap and get a bad ring. I think it is the particular rifle and how it handles 777.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

The crud ring I think is more determined on the environmental conditions you shoot in. Some people claim no crud rings while others can hardly load a second shot. I would not think a simple cap going off would make that big a difference, but then you never know...
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

The crud ring I think is more determined on the environmental conditions you shoot in. Some people claim no crud rings while others can hardly load a second shot. I would not think a simple cap going off would make that big a difference, but then you never know...

That does make alot of sense.A possible answer to the million dollar question.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

I always get a crud ring in my encore but since I started using the Montana bore conditioner it seems to be less and the second, third, fourth, and fifth shots seem to load easier.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

got some wincheseter t7 primers and will be interested seeing how they work in the Encore. Going to give them a try tomorrow if the wind is good...
Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

A waste of caps in my guns.I never fire off before hand and have no trouble whether 777, pyrodex both in loose and pellet forms. Depends on weather especially humidity.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

I sometimes wonder if it's what we use to clean and preserve are bores with, is the culprit?
I really do think that is part of the problem... the heat, pressure, along with the sugar of T7, and something in the barrel crystalizes forming the ring... can not prove it one way or the tuther though..
Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

got some wincheseter t7 primers and will be interested seeing how they work in the Encore.

Good luck.Winchester 777 primers made the crud ring worse in my Encore. Best thing you can do to reduce the crud ring is to remove all traces of lubricant from the barrel before firing the first round.

Quick Reply: shoot a cap to prevent crud ring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.